Thread: Our friend Tom...interviewed !

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by jake4n View Post
    Great work, but there is something that doesn't quite make sense to me. You take 16 bit TIFF sequence and encode it into Prores and then color grade it? Why don't you just grade the TIFF sequence? Any high end grading software will grade 16 bit TIFFs just fine. Incidentally, TIFFs is the one of the two formats, JPEG 2000 being the other one, that is accepted for the DCI packaging, so it's a pretty standard format in the DI process. Prores is a highly compressed codec and you should always strive to grade using uncompressed files, such as TIFF, DPX, Cineon, uncompressed 10 bit QT etc.
    Good point! I do pro-res before because it allows me to grade the clip and not have to worry about grading individual stills. Perhaps I could just export as a image sequence and re-import into color. Im going to go test now!
    It changes every day, but is always the same: research for Equilibrium.
    I believe that the Image, as the language of Cinema, is formed by the conflict and harmony of the two different elements of life: Light and Darkness.
    Trying to find an Equilibrium between these two opposite forces as I visualize different stories, becomes every day the reason for my creative effort.
    The research of this is my own life.
    -Vittorio Storaro

REEL: http://www.vimeo.com/ericulbrich

If you want to do HDRI time-lapse, Photomatix is great tool. I has a batch mode and we have used it for that purpose.
    Regards,

Uli

My Red is called Vertov after a Russian avantgarde filmmaker, a pioneer in modern cinematography, a true revolutionary who later suffered under Stalin's bureaucracy.

Amazing,

Tom is that the Owens Valley Research Observatory?

IBloom

4. #24 Words can't express 
    how beautiful that is. Thank you Tom and Thank you Larry for posting the link. I just shared this with Chris Anderson, the curator of the TED conference.

Quote Originally Posted by ibloom View Post
    Amazing,

Tom is that the Owens Valley Research Observatory?

IBloom
    Yes. The moonlit shot with the snow-capped mountains was the Very Long Baseline Array's 25-meter dish in Owens Valley (Big Pine). It's a beautiful telescope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_Long_Baseline_Array

There are also a couple of VLA shots from New Mexico in there, but it was incredibly windy when I was there. I'm hoping to head back there.

Larry has also been to VLBA with me shooting, and to VLA, although our story of meeting at VLA is kind of a farce... it's very funny. I spotted Larry's car out at VLA and tried to flag him down, but Larry thought I was VLA security and fled down the highway... lmao.

Banned
    Tom is a master of time lapse. Always stunning images. If he could make the equivalent of a "motion coffee table" book, he'd sell a million.