Thread: What about red codec for Cinelerra Linux NLE as a cheap system?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What about red codec for Cinelerra Linux NLE as a cheap system? 
    I have been involved with low cost cinema projects for years, with an ambition towards the lowest cost quality equipment and systems. The Red and scarlet came from the ideas of these projects the dvinfo community, for one, was developing. But there is no codec support for a cheap near lossless quality NLE, like Vegas etc, but that is from the competition. I have not kept up, maybe there is some support now tot he low end windows, but it occurred to me that the Linux based free Cineralla NLE, that has also been used for feature films, might represent a good target for a low cost NLE system for the Scarlet.

I think the designer of cinelerra might even be able to be enticed into incorporating red codec support if you paid her for her work (I think it was a her) which has been done in other open source projects.

Jim, what do you think , excellent idea for the Scarlet, or not worth it?

http://www.heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/heroines

http://www.heroinewarrior.com/xmovie.php

It seems like a good idea to encourage a Linux compatible competing NLE system, even though I'm pretty sure most RED customers are happy with their FCP, Adobe and Vegas-based systems.

I don't know if you would need to pay the developer on a contract basis for this.

If I was Jim, I would donate a RED Scarlet fixed and (please ... when I saw his setup I shuddered) a half-decent monitor for the developer's computer.

A few months after the donation, I'm pretty sure the software would magically become RED-compatible in short order.

(The developer appears to be a he since I see the name Adam Williams at the end of all the pages).

D

Yes, Adam Williams was the original creator of Cinelerra, now it is developed by an entire community.

FYI, there is a Linux tool that will support r3d files, it is called Rave. Far from free, it certainly is designed for serious workflows. We look to officially announce this in our upcoming 3.1 release.

Want to get a peek at what we are doing with REDs and the workflow, feel free to visit us for the upcoming demo.

http://www.spectsoft.com/RaveManual-MayDemos.html

Cheers,
    Ramona

Most NLEs (including Cinelerra) will import an image sequence, and there is a Red Linux toolkit in the works.

You could use the Red Linux Toolkit to export your footage to TIFF sequences, then import them into Cinelerra into whichever CODEC you want. You'd then have to export the sound separately and sync it up. Very CPU intensive steps, but you could do it.

Bob

There is an open source library (called libredcode or something) that can decode REDCODE footage, but I don't think it's been integrated into and NLEs or media backends yet... Blender might have it though, I think I took a look at the code and it was in their SVN...

Quote Originally Posted by David Dennis View Post
    It seems like a good idea to encourage a Linux compatible competing NLE system, even though I'm pretty sure most RED customers are happy with their FCP, Adobe and Vegas-based systems.
    Is there actual Vegas support?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gruen View Post
    Most NLEs (including Cinelerra) will import an image sequence, and there is a Red Linux toolkit in the works.

You could use the Red Linux Toolkit to export your footage to TIFF sequences, then import them into Cinelerra into whichever CODEC you want. You'd then have to export the sound separately and sync it up. Very CPU intensive steps, but you could do it.

Bob
    Yes, it would be very intensive and time consuming. I prefer real time editing and effects in the red codec to avoid loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Gentle View Post
    There is an open source library (called libredcode or something) that can decode REDCODE footage, but I don't think it's been integrated into and NLEs or media backends yet... Blender might have it though, I think I took a look at the code and it was in their SVN...
    Would be good, think I have heard the name.

"Is there actual Vegas support? "

Vegas 9a .. drop r3d clip into TL and it plays ..doesn't matter if you have project properties set up as SD, HD, 2k, 4k ( or make up your own settings) ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini View Post
    I think the designer of cinelerra might even be able to be enticed into incorporating red codec support if you paid her for her work (I think it was a her) which has been done in other open source projects.
    Pay her to incorporate REDCODE? WTF? Maybe she could get the freely available RED SDK and incorporate support herself like every other software developer out there is doing...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but that just seemed like a really odd request.

Yes, this post is a few months old, I missed it the first time around. I guess I'm really just confused as to why the open source community that is now perpetuating this software can't simply grab the SDK and go for it.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.