Thread: avid mxf red workflow

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    you could do split audio imports. as long as you add audio tracks to your files via "modify" (and after unlinking/change/relinking). as long as you audio and video files are the exact same length you can select your clips in the bin and go to "batch import" and match the audio to the video files and it will put the audio into the clips. its a nice sneaky way to do it.
    also might need to make sure the audio is 24bit although im pretty sure AVID now accepts the 32bit pack and strips it down.
    Jason Diamond
    The Diamond Bros.
    @jasondiamond

2 Dragon's avail and ready to fly.

Rocket-X's

Leica-R Duclos Cinemod 16,19,24,28,35,50,60,80,90,100,135,180
    Avail NYC and anywhere trains, planes and automobiles go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Diamond View Post
    you could do split audio imports. as long as you add audio tracks to your files via "modify" (and after unlinking/change/relinking). as long as you audio and video files are the exact same length you can select your clips in the bin and go to "batch import" and match the audio to the video files and it will put the audio into the clips. its a nice sneaky way to do it.
    also might need to make sure the audio is 24bit although im pretty sure AVID now accepts the 32bit pack and strips it down.
    All that is, of course, true, but the very reason to make MXF files directly is to avoid all of that in the first place. That's why I was curious as to what Jamie is doing for that. If you're going to use batch import, it's just as simple - if not simpler - to use the Red tools (like Rushes) to make DNxHD Quicktimes, with sound, make an ALE, and do a fast import from the Quicktime files - which is, frankly, the way I've done it. And in the end, it's probably just as fast, too. The nice part of Jamie's workflow is to use the scripts to to generate new clips for the high res version.

mmost- first of all i have to thank you for all I've learned from you over the years lurking on TIG and CML (I'm a colourist really not a coder...)
    that out of the way
    auuuudiooo hmmmmm..... like i say i'm a colourist so i hadn't thought about it!!!
    the project i'm doing this for will be shooting separate sound that will be synced up in the avid by timecode so i haven't really had to worry about it.
    I also haven't got any R3D files with audio in them!!
    my plan would be....drum roll please....
    make the redline command render a small QT wrapper with avid compatible audio in it
    ffmpeg the audio out of that into a wav or raw pcm files (not sure about extracting audio from QT REFERENCE files- its easy to do with self contained ones)
    writeavidmxf them into avid mxf audio with the commands that are in there (I know that works i've done that bit before)
    put them into the avid/mxf/1 folder
    i'm really sorry i can't say one way or the other until i get a file with audio!
    if someone has one you could put it on a ftp site and i'll get it at work (we have a fast connection )
    the video ends up with_v1.mxf at the end the audio with _a1.mxf at the the end and it links up in the avid.Like i say i've done that bit before OK.
    doesn't redline do audio directly? that would help a lot!!

i've also got some bad news for you american types. Because i am rubbish and i've been writing it for me and a UK project it only works at 25fps so far.
    this is due to to the bit that i've written with my friend (aditc) only being set to 25 so far.
    by the way all that discussion about open source and stuff making my "application" worthless (in the monetary/monkey extract sense) is probably correct (although aditc is NOT available anywhere cos i looked on the internet for something that did what i wanted and...nothing which is why i rolled up my sleeves and entered the murky world of C++ with my friend who probably dreams in that language.)
    so I'll just keep on working on it here and post my results as a science experiment!
    cheers
    j

Can you explain why the 185 material did not match the 36 in color space? It seemed the steps were the same, but the outcome was different.

Michael
    ‎"There are a thousand ways to point a camera, but really only one."
    Ernst Lubitsch

MichaelP hello sir!
    different redline command for the online transcode -I made it redlog and redspace in just so i could see whether i could grade it OK. that's all.

yes of course you are right however batch importing audio into a clip and via jamie's way seems waaaaay faster than doing the ALE fast import way REDTools.

either way we all win and thats the best part.
    Jason Diamond
    The Diamond Bros.
    @jasondiamond

2 Dragon's avail and ready to fly.

Rocket-X's

Leica-R Duclos Cinemod 16,19,24,28,35,50,60,80,90,100,135,180
    Avail NYC and anywhere trains, planes and automobiles go.

This is really cool but just an FYI to everyone, this is basically what metafuse does and it has a GUI already. :)
    Emery Wells @emerywells
    Co-Founder/CEO - Frame.io @Frame_io
    Founder - Katabatic Digital @KatabaticNY
    Frame.io
    KataData iPhone Data Rate Calculator

metafuze don't work (natively) on a mac and at the moment is non batchable (is that a word????)
    i mean at the moment you can only do one clip at a time. that's better! and it doesn't do the pull script at the other end for making hi resolution versions of the material you need...but apart from that its the same, kinda, sorta....

the difference emery is that this is for OSX, which appeals to some people.

Without the GUI, Metafuze is still much more appealing I would think....

but i do like the GUI on metafuze.
    i make pretty pictures but uglyyyy applications...
    j