Thread: Hello all! New member intro.... Red 3D & more.

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Hello all! New member intro.... Red 3D & more. 
    It's about time I joined this forum! Nice to see they finally have a 3d subforum too.

My Name is Pedro Guimaraes, originally from Brazil been living and working in LA for a long time now.

I'm lucky enough to work at a company called Stereoscope Studios, based in Burbank, CA.

We do s3D production & post production services. We are working on 3D camera systems(lenses and rigs), developing various s3D technologies. We have complete s3D post production capability (color, conform, edit and VFX). In addition we do 2D to 3D conversions (taking regular "flat" 2D footage and making it 3D). Also we working on live 3D broadcast technologies and work flows. We also have a 7.1 Dolby mixing room with protools etc.... We have worked with Phillips and others on auto-stereo technologies as well.

I spend part of my time here in the lab/fabrication shop helping design/fabricate and develop 3D camera "rigs" and other off the wall imaging devices. I'm also our camera operator/DIT on shoots (Phantom operator & Red)The rest of the time I'm usually busy working w/ the Quantel Pablo and the Avid DS working with 3D footage or doing regular 2D flat conform's or any overflow editing tasks (we do 2D work as well). As usual since we are a smaller company you end up wearing many hats.

3ality and Pace are just down the street from us. Technically speaking we are competitors but we all seam to be focusing in different areas. In the end we all win if the s3D industry continues to grow. There is more than enough work for all of us to be successful. Pace is of course heavy on the feature production side and 3ality seams to be focusing more on live 3D events (mainly sports). While we are involved plenty with production and capture of 3D, Our focus is more with 3D post and workflow. Our Quantel Pablo 4k editing system allows us to edit in 3D with dual 2k streams in real time. It has native support for .R3d files and phantom .cine files.

Here is a peek at our small 3D theater\review room. This is where you would edit/color/conform your 2D or 3D movie. This is where you will find our Quantel Pablo 4K edit system. It is great to be able to edit in 3D in 2k res.

View from the screen back towards the edit desk.....

We are lucky to have a great amount of talented people here and I love my job. I have never learned so much in any job before. I'm lucky enough to have John Rupkalvis as my co-worker and 3D mentor. Brian Gardner (Coraline's stereoscopic advisor, Meet the Robinsons, Bolt, Matrix etc..), Jason Goodman (21st century 3d) also calls our offices home. Ray Zone, Chris Condon, Lenny Lipton are always stopping by to hang out see what we are up to and contribute here and there. We also happy to host meetings of the Stereo club of california, 3DForce and other clubs and enthusiasts groups.

We work closely with Spectsoft with the Rave system and more recently assisted them in evaluated and developing thier "3D Live view" system. Also have recently worked with the Codex portable recorders. On the camera side we have a good relationships with the guys over at Abel cine and we have worked on a few Phantom projects/rigs. Red has assisted us with some 3D testing and we hope to have alot more RED rigs and projects in the future.

We also have a 30x40x15 hardwall cyc. were we do alot of our camera tests etc....

In fact just today we tested RED's on a Swissrig beam splitter on our stage.

---------------------------------
    Pedro Guimaraes, SOC
    IATSE Local 600 - Operator

Steadicam-Gimbals / Underwater / 3D cinema
    C-Motion Cvolution Wireless lens control 8 motor system for rent.
    Handsfree Segway for rent
    Ronin/Movi gimbals for Rent
    www.pgfilms.tv - Bio&Reel
    www.steadi3d.com - BLog
    www.cinemilled.com - Gimbal accessories & other cinema products

We actually have done lots of work with the RED cameras, in fact we were the first to run 2 reds sync'd at 120fps way back when....... during our first RED camera tests. We got some great 3D footage of kite surfers catching some serious airtime.

Here some pics from that test shoot. The large interocular separation or "stereobase" of this parallel configuration worked out fine for shooting surfers from the beach. Unfortunately due to the large body of the REDS the closest IO you can get is around 6" but as you can see below we actually used larger IO than that.

You can see here the "hyperstereo" setup.

Pedro Guimaraes, SOC

www.steadi3d.com - BLog

While many of the movies that have been released have been made using beamsplitters (MBV,U2 etc..) the shear size of these rigs and the light loss and well there are many, many issues with them. We are always working on rigs using single cameras. Dual lens single cameras, mirror rigs, prisims.... we experimenting with alot of ideas.

Here is a test we did with a single Red camera, dual lens+prism rig(side by side Stereovision). This projects a left and right image onto the sensor using dual anamorphic lenses. In post using the Pablo we split the image and apply the anamorphic unsqueeze. There is no light loss since we are not splitting any light just passing it thru lenses and a prism.

We were happy with the preliminary results, it is of course not without it's issues.

Here is a pic from the test.

side shot (Ray Zone in the background:))

Here is what it looks like on the monitor. Once the post is done you end up with 2k images on each eye.

Pedro Guimaraes, SOC

www.steadi3d.com - BLog

Here is a few more pics of some of a parallel Red One rig we setup to do some tests...

So that's it, I just wanted to introduce myself and give some background of where I work and some of the things we have cooking. As "management" lets me make things public I'll make sure to post and show off the latest developments with RED and other 3D tech...

I know a fair amount about s3D, stereography, rigs and 3D HD,2k,4k post workflow (learning more everyday). I'll try to contribute as much as I can. More importantly I work with people that know vastly more than I do. So between me and the experts around here I'm sure I can answer most of your questions.

I hope I can contribute and be useful now and then, feel free to contact me as well if I can help with anything.

Pedro Guimaraes, SOC

www.steadi3d.com - BLog

Welcome Pedro! Can't wait to see some of your s3D footage.