Thread: Exporting R3D files/sequence to Cineform from AE

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Exporting R3D files/sequence to Cineform from AE 
    Could somebody help me and explain what is the simple thing I can't figure out.

I'm cutting R3D-files with Premiere Pro CS4 4.01, then import the project to AE, drag the sequnce to composition, and adjust separately colors of each invidual clip. There after choose Composition > Add Composition to Render Queue and adjust settings, especially change the codec to Cineform. Once I hit render the image turns black and also the exported file (which takes some time) contains nothing but a black image. Anyone have a suggestion where's the problem?

Second, what is the best way in sense of image quality to export 2K CF-files from 4K R3D-files?

Thanks

Which version of cineform do you own? Are you sure the version you have will let you export to 2k resolution?
    Director of Photography/VFX -Scherperel Cine LLC
    http://www.stefandp.com.com

It is better not to go through the R3D plugin in AE. Adobe has long had memory shortage issues and AE is still a 32-bit application, and memory is particular tight with 4K at 16 or 32-bit float exports.

Use the direct R3D to CineForm conversion that comes with PHD/P4K & NHD/N4K. This is significantly faster than using AE. If you convert them flat, preserving the full dynamic range with a Log curve (Log90 is our preferred curve). In two weeks time (or less) you can use CineForm First Light application that will ship with v4.0 than allows simple RT non-destructive color correction and 3D LUTs -- see NAB interest on First Light here http://cineform.blogspot.com/2009/04...t-and-neo.html
    David Newman
    CTO, CineForm
    http://twitter.com/David_Newman

Quote Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
    It is better not to go through the R3D plugin in AE. Adobe has long had memory shortage issues and AE is still a 32-bit application, and memory is particular tight with 4K at 16 or 32-bit float exports.[/url]
    Ok, I see and also understand now why while starting the AE panel says how many percentages of the 4GB memory one uses although have far more GBs in the machine.

Yes, I saw the First Light video some days ago and was very impressed immediately.

Thanks!

5. #5 turn OpenGL and/or preview off 
    maybe problem with memory and viewport handling? give this a try -

turn OpenGL acceleration off in AFX and change to just software rendering of the viewport. I had serious issues with anything higher than 2K on our nV 9800GT GPU, it was very, very slow, too. Maybe there is some limit in drivers and/or GPU related to texture sizes or whatever...

Also, prior rendering, You may want to try to press CAPS LOCK, this disables updating of the viewport.
    pro.bistudio.com - MoCap, RED One, 3D scanning