Thread: 1700MB/s for 2K and 4K Via Aberdeen XDAS

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 1700MB/s for 2K and 4K Via Aberdeen XDAS 
    ANyone use this?

http://www.aberdeeninc.com/abcatg/Video-Storage.htm

pretty spendy, but my gosh it has unbelievable read write times...

cant tell if thats at Raid 0 (most likely) or Raid 6? seems unlikely but
    is talked about in description.

Im waiting to hear, but this sounds like a smoking RAID for 2K and 4K playback... and at $12K for 4.8TB, it better be.

would love to hear from anyone who knows Aberdeen? Ive been looking at Dulce and Caldigit
    Kind regards,

Tim Whitcomb
    Filmmaker

I can't speak for the Aberdeen but our Dulce Pro-DQ has been screaming on the Scratch. Great performance, 2K no problem. and super quiet unit. stoked to see anymore info on this Aberdeen unit if you have any updates.
    Jason Diamond
    The Diamond Bros.
    Frame.io
    @jasondiamond

Monstro VV Stormtrooper / 8K HELIUM Stormtrooper / 2 x Gemini Packages
    Leica-R Duclos Cinemod 16mm-180mm / Atlas Anamorphic A-Set

Hi thanks. Im getting info now. apparently it achieves the speed
    using RAID 50... a hybrid of Raid 0 and Raid 5. sounds like it needs
    a pretty sophisticated raid controller... but if it can achieve those
    read write speeds (almost double Dulce PRo) then Im hoping 4K playback
    is possible... will post when I see a demo or hear more info
    Kind regards,

Tim Whitcomb
    Filmmaker

Hey everyone, RAID 50 is a standard and simple implementation of any modern RAID card. Its RAID5 Stripped to another RAID5, which is a RAID0, thus RAID50 or RAID 5+0.

4k speeds are great, but totally unnecessary at this moment. 2k will the the Standard for quite a few more years, and 2k being just a little bit bigger than HD, its a very attainable and affordable post solution at this time. The most bang for your buck. I wouldn't worry about 4k post for quite some time. The Kodak white pages on 2k DI and IN and INDI have set the standard for the next 5 or so as to what 2k is in the Intermediate process of modern film making. The highest acquisition possible yes, 4k, 10k, 500k, but post and the DI will be 2k for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jonathan View Post
    Hey everyone, RAID 50 is a standard and simple implementation of any modern RAID card. Its RAID5 Stripped to another RAID5, which is a RAID0, thus RAID50 or RAID 5+0.

4k speeds are great, but totally unnecessary at this moment. 2k will the the Standard for quite a few more years, and 2k being just a little bit bigger than HD, its a very attainable and affordable post solution at this time. The most bang for your buck. I wouldn't worry about 4k post for quite some time. The Kodak white pages on 2k DI and IN and INDI have set the standard for the next 5 or so as to what 2k is in the Intermediate process of modern film making. The highest acquisition possible yes, 4k, 10k, 500k, but post and the DI will be 2k for quite a while.
    John, good points - but where we as a manufacturer are getting a *ton* of requests for 4K is not in DI, but oddly enough - in dailies and temp scrennings. Everybody that shoots RED wants to see it "in 4K."

That's part of why we are showing a 4K solution at NAB. Very small form factor, very fast, not very expensive. 1.6 GB/s sustained.

Best,

Lucas
    -----
    ASSIMILATE, inc.
    LA, CA, USA

Would 300MB/s be enough for all uses of 2k post from 4k footage?
    Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Lequeux View Post
    Would 300MB/s be enough for all uses of 2k post from 4k footage?
    Depends on what you mean when you say "2K."

Depending on where you are, 2K can mean 2048x1080 (2:1) or 2048x1556 (4:3 35mm Academy Ap. scan.)

For 2048x1556, 300MB/s is not enough.

For 2048x1080, it could be enough, but you need to make sure that the array can support 300MB/s sustained reads, and take into account any fragmentation issues, etc.

Lucas Wilson
    ------------
    ASSIMILATE, inc.
    LA, CA, USA

Yes, the 300MB/s are still only theoretical minimum reads at 80% capacity with some fragmentation. I'll be checking a lot more before I do anything.

By 2k I mean 2:1 from a Red One... though what I really would like to know is if it would be enough for 5k S35 DSMC, probably 2:1 or whatever were best for 2.4 aspect but that will be impossible to know until RR80 and RR100 are out and about.
    Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com

Hey Luki, I was just giving my 2 cents, with Moore's law affecting everything from processor speed to data rates on HD's, its kinda silly to break your back and the bank to setup a 4k online right now to try prevent the system from being outdated in the future. It will get outdated. And outdated fairly quickly now a days. So setup 2k now and wait for 4k to be cheaper. Viewing 4k would be great, but if you are not viewing it in all its glory, each pixel being represented on 30ft screen by a projected pixel, or a dot, or by a group of silver halide crystals or whatever.. Your not really seeing the whole thing. When 4k projectors become cheaper and the market has Filmic LCD's and other flat technologies showing 4k, I'll be there. If you guys have 4k Scratch stations, cool! I don't need sustained 4k to do repos or crops using RED footage at 4k, and sustained 2k is is getting cheaper and cheaper and cheaper to implement. But if the client wants 4k, they get what they want, especially they want to pay for it.

Our specs are correct. We do achieve those numbers, and we sold those kits to numerous respectable video industry customers. Our solution is also a hybrid RAID50 solution. We use industry-wide accepted SAS connections. So please call our sales rep for detailed info.

Best Regards,

Aberdeen LLC
    www.aberdeeninc.com