Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Scarlet & Epic 5K resolution only 1667 pix?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Scarlet & Epic 5K resolution only 1667 pix? 
    Difference between 1080 X 1920 3 chip camera and Epic 5K 1 chip:
    Divide 5K by 3 and you get a 1667 pix Epic camera.
    The 3 chip delivers 1920 pix, a higher resolution.

Is my math wrong, or did Red make up new ways of measuring pixel count?
    The truth will set you free, I think

The main compelling reasons it seems to be in this camera system is the frame size, PL mount, and cost. You would get less artifacts from 3 chips verses 1 chip.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Martini View Post
    Is my math wrong, or did Red make up new ways of measuring pixel count?
    Your math is wrong.
    Eki Halkka (a.k.a. Halsu)
    Freelance Jack-Of-All-Trades

Very wrong, you are measuring apples and oranges.

RED is RAW.

Look up debayering and converting to RGB and you'll find your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eki Halkka View Post
    Your math is wrong.
    Damn wrong to be precise...

Where did you get those numbers? Also note, the RED is a single chip camera. The RED's sensor alone is far more advanced than most pro three chip cameras on the market and all the prosumer three chip cameras.

Also, there are many other factors to consider when purchasing a camera; the sensor is a big one, recording format (filetype, bitrate, etc.), and workflow, to name a few more.

You have much to learn, young grasshopper. But that's why we have this forum and we're here to help.
    Josh Negrin
    All your base are belong to us
    IMDB page

Wow, everything you said was skewed.

As was said, look up Bayer pattern CMOS sensors versus 3 chip CCD's

The 3 chip 1920 camera will deliver a 1920 horizontal image.

The 5k Epic will deliver a roughly 5000 horizontal image, (with the MTF of roughly 4k)

On a per photosite count 3 1920 x 1080 chips have 6,220,800 photo sites to deliver an image that has accurate color and sharpness with 2,073,600 pixels. Ergo 33% effective.

The 4k Red one, a 1 chip CMOS with active recording area of 4096 x 2304 has 9,437,184 photo sites. This delivers an image with 9,437,184 pixels. Now since it is a bayer pattern it's accuracy lands somewhere around a 3.2k image which would have somewhere around 7,361,003 pixels, or 78% effective.

To start....
    cheers

J. Eric Camp
    600 DIT | NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Martini View Post
    The 3 chip delivers 1920 pix, a higher resolution... less artifacts
    Yes. Also, the earth is flat, snake oil cures all ailments, tinfoil hats stop aliens, and I have a bridge to sell you.
    --Daniel Browning

Though it's a bit off topic, I'd at least like to make sure that my understanding of things is correct and I think it might help the OP. (I didn't know anything at all about cameras prior to starting to read up over the last week, so please - don't think I'm trolling if I get something wrong.)

Some cameras use 3 CCD sensors to record an image - one sensor at N resolution for each color red, green, and blue. RED uses a single CMOS sensor or resolution N to record an image along with a bayer filter to break the pixels into colors at a ratio of 1 Red, 1 Blue, and 2 Green. The image recorded in the camera is exported to the media (CF card, HDD, SDD) in a RAW format, meaning ISO, ASA, and other adjustments normally done in camera can be altered in post without degredation.

Whereas most cameras use 3 CCD sesnors at N x N resolution to produce a single frame of resolution N x N, RED uses just the one CMOS at N x N resolution to produce a single frame of resolution N x N. The fact that it does not have three sensors does not imply that it produces a final resolution of 1/3 its sensor resolution. Therefore, a RED camera with a sensor rated to record at 2K 2:1 actually outputs a file that has 2K (actually 2048px) in the horizontal and 1K (1024 px) in the vertical. A 3K 2:1 outputs a file that is 3K (3072 px) wide and (1536 px) tall.

RED cameras also use a rolling shutter, also used by many film cameras. This type of shutter can lend itself to some problems - skew, partial exposure, and the "Jellocam", which can be largely avoided or corrected for in the use of a well built mechanism taking these elements into account or in firmware.

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #10 RED camera v's 3-CCD 
    You would get less artifacts from 3 chips verses 1 chip.
    If all things were equal between cameras you might anticipate that to be so.

Some "proof" may exist in pro-sumer cameras of this "fact", but RED and 3-CCD 1080p designs are not at all equal.

Comparing a still from a DSLR v's a still extracted from a traditional video camera is a good proxy for the quality difference you will observe.

This is nothing to do with "new math", and anyone who may be suggesting otherwise to you are either misinformed or may have an alternative agenda.

If you want to make a comparison, try a Scarlet 2/3" (3K RAW) camera v's a top end 3-CCD camera such as a Sony F900 (1080p)
    Workflow Wizard