Thread: The mini MetaFuze thread. Share your experience and findings

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 The mini MetaFuze thread. Share your experience and findings 
    Thought I'd start a little thread about MetaFuze so we can share our experience.

First there's a couple of things I wonder that maybe someone knows the answer to.

* In the configuration you can set the threads for a remote computer. But how do you render on that computer and where do you set the IP and so? Can't find anything about it in the docs.

* LUTs does not work on R3D's even though the manual say so? Or?

* I don't really understand how the grouping works. I have checked "Merge across subfolders" but i get a new "group" for each file in each subfolder. So each QT get one folder and each R3D one. Actually I get the same result no matter what I choose. And it doesn't even merge into groups when there's a splitted R3D.

Feature request
    * Filter out filetypes on "scan folder". What I want is to scan a parent folder and all it's subfolders. But no matter what it finds in there I only want to add all R3D's. Not the MOV's. And I would like to group them all in one group so I can add just one setting to them all and not individually add settings to each clip.

* Better utilization of my 8 cores

* Availability to turn of the viewers in the top of the program. Also set the refresh method of them (always, user, never...).

* Full blown command line support without XML-template

I basically want to tell MetaFuze, from command line, to scan one folder recursively. Grep all R3Ds and batch convert them to whatever I tell it to convert it to and put it where I tell it to put it.

Something along the lines of...
    metafuze -r -type R3D,r3d -res quarter -debayer low -output dnxhd40 -source y:\redrum\ -destination y:\MXF\

And after that I would go on lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik Cednert View Post

And after that I would go on lunch.
    I am buying....

I agree completely with henrik.

I am getting some interesting speeds at the lower resolutions which knock Transcoding on the mac on the head..... in low-res anyway

My Metafuze crashes when I try to load a folder that contains QT's?

Speak later this week

Mahvo

Also a bit curious about the changed tape name. Why remove the unique identifier and add the date instead? When burning in the info and burning in tape name that means that we can't see what the specific clip is named. Can't find any variable for that in thre? :pinch: :waaa: I'm most certain that there is a really good reason behind this and just would like to know what it is. :detective2: :ph34r:

edit... I might have typed that before I had thought it through enough. =) but would still be interesting to know why identifier had to leave room for date.

I realise Avid have no need or incentive to provide it, but the ability to ouput DPX or Tiff sequences as well, would be great for those offlining in Avid with DNxHD and finishing on uncompressed platforms (not made by Avid).

Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by mahvo View Post
    I am buying....

I agree completely with henrik.

I am getting some interesting speeds at the lower resolutions which knock Transcoding on the mac on the head..... in low-res anyway

My Metafuze crashes when I try to load a folder that contains QT's?

Speak later this week

Mahvo
    What version of QT do you have running? Check that it's 7.4.5.
    Forrest
    Post Box Post

Quote Originally Posted by richards View Post
    I realise Avid have no need or incentive to provide it, but the ability to ouput DPX or Tiff sequences as well, would be great for those offlining in Avid with DNxHD and finishing on uncompressed platforms (not made by Avid).

Regards,

Richard
    MetaFuze was originally built to take .DPX sequences and convert to DnX for Offline. Since neither Composer, nor Symphony can work with .DPX files, I don't thing they will put it high on the development list.
    Forrest
    Post Box Post

>>* In the configuration you can set the threads for a remote computer. But how do you render on that computer and where do you set the IP and so? Can't find anything about it in the docs.<<
    As I haven't done this yet, let me ask the Devs and get back to you.

>>* LUTs does not work on R3D's even though the manual say so? Or? <<
    The LUTs are used with .DPX files. You load in .RLX files for .R3D footage. So you need access to RedAlert to create this.
    >>* I don't really understand how the grouping works. I have checked "Merge across subfolders" but i get a new "group" for each file in each subfolder. So each QT get one folder and each R3D one. Actually I get the same result no matter what I choose. And it doesn't even merge into groups when there's a splitted R3D.

Feature request
    * Filter out filetypes on "scan folder". What I want is to scan a parent folder and all it's subfolders. But no matter what it finds in there I only want to add all R3D's. Not the MOV's. And I would like to group them all in one group so I can add just one setting to them all and not individually add settings to each clip.<<

These are features that are being implemented in a future release of MetaFuze. Believe me, I've been asking. Don't worry about selecting all of the Split .R3D files just the top one, MetaFuze will stitch them all back together again. I am still testing whether or not you need to change the settings for all the segments, or just the first one. I'll let you know.
    >>* Better utilization of my 8 cores<<
    Coming soon to a better MetaFuze near you.
    >>
    * Availability to turn of the viewers in the top of the program. Also set the refresh method of them (always, user, never...).

* Full blown command line support without XML-template

I basically want to tell MetaFuze, from command line, to scan one folder recursively. Grep all R3Ds and batch convert them to whatever I tell it to convert it to and put it where I tell it to put it.

Something along the lines of...
    metafuze -r -type R3D,r3d -res quarter -debayer low -output dnxhd40 -source y:\redrum\ -destination y:\MXF\<<

Devs have these requests logged and are working fast and furiously on them. Some issues will be resolved with updated SDKs from Red, others will be coming in later releases.
    Forrest
    Post Box Post

Can we send them drugs or something so they work faster and longer days? :bleh:

Thanks for your feedback Forrest! Much useful info there! =)) I will sleep on it and probably get back with more later this week.

Hey All -

Thanks for confirming all of this. These have been on the list to do before we released the current version. Although it was a premature release for R3D, the beta users felt it would still have value, so out it went. The next version will have most if not all of these issues resolved:

Optimized for faster transcodes
    audio support
    batch group processing for multiple source R3D
    10 bit DNxHD and uncompressed

We are trying to get the GUI to work for single user as well as set transcodes via line command and XML script.

LUT support is a different issue that we hope to have some support once we get to the next version of the SDK (working with RED on that one).

The tape name was an oversight in the fact that the file name at the directory level is not in the metadata inside the file... so we are correcting to allow for file name workflow - despite the fact that it is more fragile.

As far as exporting formats other than DNxHD, we have it on the list - something we would look at once we nail the R3D workflow which is of higher priority.

Michael
    ‎"There are a thousand ways to point a camera, but really only one."
    Ernst Lubitsch

when do you expect the new version to be released michael?