Thread: Steady Cam and Gyros

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Steady Cam and Gyros 
    Does anyone here have any experience with mounting gyros on a steady cam. I have the opportunity to mount some on mine and I'm not quite sure how to figure out the best place to put them. We are shooting from a vehicle. thanks.

I highly recomend that you test them for a day before showing up on a job. What rig are you flying, and what gyro's are you using?

The simplest way to mount one would be to just bolt a ks4 onto the cheese plate for the red.

Nick

We're flying a Glidecam v-25 and have two ks-6 gyro's.

Just wondering if anyone has any pictures or know of any links where I can check out other rigs.

Depending on how much your camera weighs, 2 ks6s and ll the other gack may kill the arm on a Glidecam. One way to save on weight is to spin the gyros up on the stand, and pull the cables right before the shot, that way you don't have to hump around the inverter.

I'm not familiar enough with a glide cam to give you mounting options. But one on the camera and one on the base should work.

Nick

we're running our red as light as possible to fit them both

LOTS of voodoo surrounding gyro mounting, many individual theories on how to best use them with a stabilizer. I'm not a gyro owner myself, have used them for a few jobs but what has made the most sense to me is the Larry McConkey theory of mounting them in an "X" pattern to prevent them from conflicting with each other in the more common directions of travel. Not sure where you could find pix of this setup online though--I know there are some in Jerry Holway's excellent new book on Steadicam, available through Amazon.
    Charles Papert

mount one on lens axis and one sideways near the gymbal as possible for the lens axis gyro and the other sideways at the bottom of the sled to eliminate yah more than other movements. this has worked well for us on vehicle shots. I think that where depends a lot on the use. many theorys!!! all is good with two if you do not need rapid pan tilts as in vehicle work.
    TJ
    www.camera-person.com

TJ Williams
    Seattle WA USA
    206 769 8585
    RED1, 4K Sony HD (HDCam) Panasonic HD
    Operator Dp, Videographer
    Steadicam Camera Crane Aerial mount
    www.camera-person.com

i have done this and depending on what application results will vary. if you are on the back off a car/ pickup/heli/ moving at a set rate of speed the set up will work. if you plan to walk around change the direction ,normal steadicam moves,you will be fighting the gyro all the time. physics differences mean, gyros once moving will want to stay moving . steadicam can start /stop /turn /tilt without fighting .meaning no swaying searching. only time it works well is shots done at ba constant speed. hope this helps?