Thread: UK exchange rates

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 UK exchange rates 
    I've been reading many UK posters on the various threads and was wondering if many have considered the possibility of exchange rates changing vastly before putting in their full order for accessories and lenses.

I've laid down the deposit for everything I need, so hopefully if the Dollar starts getting stronger, I'll at least have saved a few hundred quid.

Of course, if the Dollar gets even weaker, then waiting could be the answer. Damn that hindsight.

And I was thinking the trip side to putting a full deposit down now and the Dollar weakening is that one could potentially get a refund and make a few hundred quid off the back off the nice Red Camera chaps. I wonder if they will change their refund policy?

NB. In no way do I condone this course of action!
    Shoot HD - Epic Dragon hire, Movi M10 hire, Blackmagic URSA hire, Aja Cion hire, Anamorphic lens hire
    Red Epic Dragon Hire
    Blackmagic URSA Hire
    Movi M10 Hire
    Tel +44 (0)1753 651440
    Email johnny@shoothd.co.uk

I've contemplated it, there is simply no way of knowing. At worst though it'll probably only change so that at most we'd be out of pocket 1000 or so. I say at worst because I reckon we'd need to be in a recession for the pound to suddenly slump so far, and hell if that should happen then the cost of the camera is the least of our worries!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulClements View Post
    I've contemplated it, there is simply no way of knowing. At worst though it'll probably only change so that at most we'd be out of pocket 1000 or so. I say at worst because I reckon we'd need to be in a recession for the pound to suddenly slump so far, and hell if that should happen then the cost of the camera is the least of our worries!
    Hi Paul,

For most of the last 15 years the has followed the $ fairly closely.

Over 25 years the rates have varied between approx 1.08 - 2.40. Currency movements can be fast & extreme.

Stephen
    Epic Dragon owner, the first upgraded camera in Switzerland :D

On second thoughts it not inconcievable that it could end up costing 1000 more, since Christmas the pound has gone from $1.85 to $2 so it's possible it could go back down. I still think something fairly major would have to occur in either America or the UK to make it slump down again so far.

17500/2 = 8750
    17500/1.8 = 9722

One of America's biggest problems is that China deals in $ mostly. Which impacts largely on its value. I'm not too sure about the hows and whys though.

There's no denying the American government is destroying their Dollar... almost as if they don't care.

I actually thought about my statement overnight and realised that it would need the dollar to gain in strength after putting down the deposit to make money.

As for the cost of the camera, should the dollar get stronger, it could end up costing 5,000 or more than it does now!

From my point of view, I hope it goes over 2:1 and keeps going!:innocent:
    Shoot HD - Epic Dragon hire, Movi M10 hire, Blackmagic URSA hire, Aja Cion hire, Anamorphic lens hire
    Red Epic Dragon Hire
    Blackmagic URSA Hire
    Movi M10 Hire
    Tel +44 (0)1753 651440
    Email johnny@shoothd.co.uk