Thread: Anyone used these Optar Illuminas?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Anyone used these Optar Illuminas? 
    Just wondering if anyone had ever used these lenses and if so whether they could give some feedback on quality, sharpness and general performance?

http://www.optarillumina.com/

I'm planning to shoot to a max of 2K (s16 Lenses) unless I am requested otherwise on commissioned projects.

Cheers,
    Mark.
    "A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live"

liquidmocean

Mark,
    I ran into this a while ago. Hope it helps

http://www.cinematography.net/Pages%...aS16Lenses.htm

Hi OliRogg,
    Thanks for that. I had also seen this paper and was wondering if anyone here could back up those points raised by owners of these lenses. Look like they are pretty good so I may have found what I'm looking for. Just need to now find a good fast zoom for macro applications and hopefully I'll be set.

Cheers,
    Mark.
    "A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live"

liquidmocean

Hi Mark.
    I've been hunting for info on the Russian Elites and the few that comment on them are very positive. Pricing is much better than on Zeiss and Cookes. As far as I can tell the quality is similar but they don´t have the same status and are not in that high demand. It seems that the Russians are much better at making lenses than marketing them! Maybe this changes with time.
    Cheers, Olafur

Quote Originally Posted by OliRogg View Post
    Hi Mark.
    I've been hunting for info on the Russian Elites and the few that comment on them are very positive. Pricing is much better than on Zeiss and Cookes. As far as I can tell the quality is similar but they don´t have the same status and are not in that high demand. It seems that the Russians are much better at making lenses than marketing them! Maybe this changes with time.
    Cheers, Olafur
    Hello OliRogg,

The Russians are very good at designing (copying?) refractive and reflective optics. The Lomo plant cranks out some of the best. Many of the finest astronomical APO objectives come from there. Just ask Thomas Back why his designs are produced at Lomo.
    Just as an aside I love Iceland, been there twice and can't wait to get back to the blue lagoon (the worlds biggest hot tub)!

Chuck

Hi Chuck
    Yes, Lomo used to make cinema lenses as far as I know - are they still?
    That´s nice - next time bring your RED to the Blue Lagoon!

Olafur

hey, Oli,

sent you a private message.