View Poll Results: Considering the Thread posted, Adobe Premiere CS4 or FCP6?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • ADOBE PREMIERE CS4

41 45.56%
  • FINAL CUT PRO 6

49 54.44%

Thread: *** Premier CS4 vs. FCP 6 ***

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Good to know.

Could I ask you guys on here, when you do a Sd DVD release of a movie, or high quality production, what mpeg2 software compressor do you use?

I've heard cinemacraft is really good, anyone willing to chime in on this, I would appreciate it greatly. Or do some of you have goto a big house to use the expensive hardware encoders?

Thanks
    Stricko

Banned
    i never really understood why PP has always seemed so unpopular to most pros for years...

like that kid at school who seems perfectly fine but has no friends...

laguun... well written comparison. will use it...

is better relevant?
    apps are just apps... its what we do with them that counts

try switching to oil painting and having to decide on brushes, canvases and paint :)

play a bit with both... shoot a small test and cut it on PP4 then FCP

challenge yourself with at least one complex editing section..

then decide.

both are easier to learn then driving.

for a final decision. i would wait for NAB... you are Vegas based after all...
    Avid will defiantly be there (with new RED tools). Apple at least should...
    and the world of film and video as we know it just might change forever (again) in 2 months

which leaves you with plenty of time to practice your premiere/FCP skills before making up your mind.

another thing.
    if what you will mainly do is editing work, then don't mind the math, bit depths, color spaces and other numerical realities. get a tool that cuts the way you like it to.

if you are after high end finishing work, know that it never ends at the software level. best 4K RGB handling still needs monitors (very expensive grading monitors), video cards and raid arrays... not to mention knowledge in handling, calibration and media management. there are great facilities across the world (and in LA ...) that are better equipped than you should ever be (unless you plan on becoming one) and are much more recommended for these final final steps

good luck choosing one

hector berrebi
    slowair@gmail.com
    www.schibber.com

Quote Originally Posted by hector View Post
    i never really understood why PP has always seemed so unpopular to most pros for years...

like that kid at school who seems perfectly fine but has no friends...

laguun... well written comparison. will use it...

is better relevant?
    apps are just apps... its what we do with them that counts

try switching to oil painting and having to decide on brushes, canvases and paint :)

play a bit with both... shoot a small test and cut it on PP4 then FCP

challenge yourself with at least one complex editing section..

then decide.

both are easier to learn then driving.

for a final decision. i would wait for NAB... you are Vegas based after all...
    Avid will defiantly be there (with new RED tools). Apple at least should...
    and the world of film and video as we know it just might change forever (again) in 2 months

which leaves you with plenty of time to practice your premiere/FCP skills before making up your mind.

another thing.
    if what you will mainly do is editing work, then don't mind the math, bit depths, color spaces and other numerical realities. get a tool that cuts the way you like it to.

if you are after high end finishing work, know that it never ends at the software level. best 4K RGB handling still needs monitors (very expensive grading monitors), video cards and raid arrays... not to mention knowledge in handling, calibration and media management. there are great facilities across the world (and in LA ...) that are better equipped than you should ever be (unless you plan on becoming one) and are much more recommended for these final final steps

good luck choosing one

hector berrebi
    slowair@gmail.com
    www.schibber.com
    Thanks for the post,

yes it is my only intention to edit only in house, not to do any final color grading, FX work and any type of High end delivery format work, for that I will depend for sure from as you say High end facilities that dedicate them selves purely to that, but I just need the over all control over the editing step, I will look forward to see what Avid also comes up with, but I think the simpler the editing app. is the better.

I basically just wanted to do the first edit my self then send it out to do the rest, not to be a control freak (which I know I'm :) ) but to me it is imperative to be able to tell my stories from beginning to end the way I see them, so editing is a very important aspect of such storytelling.

Funny you mention oil painting as I'm doing just that, Digitally off course using PX.

ciao
    KETCH ROSSi F i l m m a k e r
    RED EPIC #00008 aka DragonM8

"Sponsors" listed for full disclosure
    Maxx Digital | Schneider Kreuznach/Optics | BB&S | Miller | Blueshape | Trost | Innovativ | Bright Tangerine | Kessler | Lowepro | Village Blackout

4. #34 Native support in CS4 
    Just one more thing to put Premiere over the top, is a native plugin for CS4.

I went to a great confrence last thursday in LA, and it certainly seems Red and Adobe are planning a lot of future support together.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premie...e_cs4_beta.pdf
    Cutter Stevens
    Technical Director
    DV411

with Pre Pro cs4 and R3D, you need to have a lot of patience with the audio conforming or else it will be very unstable and crash, thats the one big issue to look out for.

CS4 has a float native engine as opposed to CS3 which was 16 bit max, but none of the effects are float a few are 16bit and most 8 bit. Most plugin manufaturers create 32 bit plugins, I believe the red plugin is 32 bit as well. However I only just installed CS4 on both my mac and pc machines, it seems to be blazing on the PC side but its slow on the
    mac side.

render red fotage out of AECS4, as opposed to media encoder

Ketch,

Something for your consideration...

What I am going to be doing is using both in tandem.

There are a few features in PPro CS4 that are superior (mainly a nicer interface and a superior titler), but for the most part, I love doing my chopping on FCP. For me, FCP is far more stable, and has some great editing tools.

With the advent of CS4, you can now NATIVELY OPEN FCP XML PROJECT FILES! This is such a nice feature!!!

My hypothetical workflow is as follows: import R3D poxy files in FCP, chop in FCP, save out as XML, import XML in PPro, link to AE, render out your lovely 4k DPX! :)

The only thing that you are going to need is CC tools. Color is amazing, but no 4k (if that is what you are finishing in). And like what has been mentioned, you need some nice hardware to do fine tuning (color wise). If you can get over the CC hurdle, you have a great (though convoluted) workflow that allows you to edit like a pro and finish like a pro.

Just my opinion, of course!

Thanks again every one for your inputs, much appreciated.

Jared, I'm playing around with both applications, and was hoping for a solution with less exchange of programs, and possibly stay with Apple or Adobe, at the end of the day I really need to limit the number of applications aI have to learn to get the job done, or I'll be spending too much time on the desk instead of spending it on the field shooting.

I really like FCP, but now I'm really liking APP as well, so I'll be making a decision soon to which to go for.

ciao
    KETCH ROSSi F i l m m a k e r
    RED EPIC #00008 aka DragonM8

"Sponsors" listed for full disclosure
    Maxx Digital | Schneider Kreuznach/Optics | BB&S | Miller | Blueshape | Trost | Innovativ | Bright Tangerine | Kessler | Lowepro | Village Blackout