View Poll Results: Considering the Thread posted, Adobe Premiere CS4 or FCP6?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • ADOBE PREMIERE CS4

41 45.56%
  • FINAL CUT PRO 6

49 54.44%

Thread: *** Premier CS4 vs. FCP 6 ***

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 *** Premier CS4 vs. FCP 6 *** 
    Okay,

first I like to say that this is not a direct questioning of which one is better, but which one is better for me!!

So the advises that I'm looking for here from those that have use both, especially more recent copies, such the APP4 and FCP6, and both on MAC platforms off course as I'm a MAC user and will not absolutely go back to PC.

This are the things for you to consider before making your suggestion on which to go for:

A) I have never used any Editing suites, not ever.

B) I'm a MAC User ONLY.

C) I will only shoot all my Projects, from Shorts, to Commercials, to Documentaries and off course Feature Films, 100% with RED Cameras.

D) I already use Adobe Photoshop CS4, Adobe Bridge CS4 and Adobe LR2, for all my Photography work.

I want to learn how to edit, as I find it imperative at times, especially with upcoming projects were I need to have control over the editing, but more so were I need to do it on my own time and not that of other editors, I strive to become truly independent, from Writing, to shooting, to editing, to delivering the final product. This off course it is not intended for larger film projects, were I hope to get in off of a budjet to always been able to Hire the best in each field, but beginning we must all, and I fill is time for me to jump on the editing wagon, as I find it an incredible important part of creating a project, no matter how small or large it might be.

So:

A) Should I stay all in an Adobe platform and go with APP4 because all the controls, commands and keys short cuts will be in harmmony with the other programs I use from Adobe?

B) Should I go with FCP6 even so the command and short cut keys, might be completely different from those of the programs I already use, and possibly make it more difficult to learn?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and advise.

ciao
    KETCH ROSSiF i l m m a k e r
    RED EPIC #00008 aka DragonM8

I have both FCP, and Adobe Creative Suite 4 Master Collection, and find FCP much better. Premier Pro is not as stable for me, nor for others as I have heard.

Since I don't have FCP6 though, I have not been able to work with Color much. With Color, I don't see why you would not go the FCP route.

Also, FCP is more popular in the industry, so if you need to collaborate with anyone else, it would be easier to streamline it all in Final Cut.
    CINEPHOTOGRAPHER | DubaiFilm

INSTAGRAM | @JosephHutson

The answer is "No" 100% of the time you don't ask.

PP4 is just a "mule" app to carry your FCP edit using EDL file and then you could import that to AF4 for 4K finishing and 4K output.

FCP and PPro will only talk clearly with EDL.

So you cut in FCP and via PP4 as a "mule" carry your edit to After Effect 4 and there color corect and output in 4K DPX or TIFF for a film print.
    "There is no point in having sharp images when you've fuzzy ideas."
    Jean-Luc Godard.

Dynamic range is, after all, the measurement between well saturation (photosite blowout) and noise floor.
    Thom Hogan

Yes, I'd say Sanjin's route is fine if you have to output 4K. Or if you want good compositing possiblities, which don't seem to be important for you right now (AE is much more powerful than Motion).
    But most films are still finished in 2K, and for that format I'd rather stay in Apple FCS. While Color Finesse is not bad, Apple's Color beats it in many aspects, like keyframing or using a control panel (you'll want one for serious grading).

Both PP and FCP are still lacking some features when it comes to RED footage, PP for example doesn't recognise looks from RA and the media encoder is a pita. OTOH, FCP can't decode full 4K and editing native from the start is no fun, you'll want to go offline/online (which is more complicated than necessary in PP too).

Just my two cents (Euro).
    Regards,

Uli

My Red is called Vertov after a Russian avantgarde filmmaker, a pioneer in modern cinematography, a true revolutionary who later suffered under Stalin's bureaucracy.

Everyone is a MAC user - I mean, it's pretty hard to connect to a network without Media Access Control, the networking sublayer. I don't see what that has to do with editing though...

Seriously though, I don't have that much experience with FCP, or editing on Mac OS X in general, but it does sound generally better supported in the industry. Premiere is great though how easily you can get projects into After Effects though. Except the only thing I don't like about that workflow is how hard it is to go back and make editing changes afterwards.

Conform and edit HD, 2K and 4K material with fusion between FCP and Adobe CS4

is a solution simply to say that somebody is able with that budget apps output full

HD, 2K and 4K DPX/TIFF, etc... footage shot with RED1.

It's about to compete with more expensive solutions starting with Scratch and finishing

in Baselight/Filmlight, Quantel's Pablo & iQ, Autodesk's Lustre & Smoke, Digital Vision's Nucoda,

DVS Clipster, Matrix DI Chrome, etc... whatever is your big studio post pro system.

With above solution you would be able to output for film print (on HDDs) even in the middle of real

or concrete jungle, urban or real desert or school, university, or your home studio, etc.

That's about 4K acquisition and output revolution that RED1 brought on the market.

With a fast raid could be even DI real-time edit, CC and conform system.
    "There is no point in having sharp images when you've fuzzy ideas."
    Jean-Luc Godard.

Dynamic range is, after all, the measurement between well saturation (photosite blowout) and noise floor.
    Thom Hogan

Thank you guys, your inputs are much appreciated.

So it seems that FCP6 is gaining over APP4, not to my surprise :)

But to me what it is also very important is the workflow learning curve it self, and as I said in the original thread, I already use several Adobe applications, so one of my main Questions remains, if the APP4 will be better and easier for me to learn then FCP6.

ciao

Senior Member Giancarlo Bianchi's Avatar
    I believe FCP is more intuitive than Premiere.
    RED Epic 1682 - Isis
    Barcelona, España
    +34 - 687.324.523

Giancarlo Bianchi.

Quote Originally Posted by Giancarlo Bianchi View Post
    I believe FCP is more intuitive than Premiere.
    Yes Giancarlo, that is also an important factor, but it is the learning curve that remains very important to me.

I like to get in to a workflow system that will not drive me crazy with turn around.

The main and only reason for me to consider APP4 is based on the fact that I already use Adobe apps, and think that will be easier for me to stick with the same line of programs as I imagine the command and key short cuts could be very similar to those I already use, but at the end of the day I want to get in to what it is best and easier to work in, from start to end.

ciao

My opinion is that the learning curve you have with either program will amount to being very similar. I don't see your background foundation with adobe apps being a huge help with your learning curve. You will have to learn how to edit and wrangle media in either program.

Having used PP, Avid and FCP my preference in ease of editing what I want to is FCP followed closely by Avid and then PP. (I know Avid is not an option for you but just stating my preferences for comparison). But it really comes down to what software you get most familiar with and more me I've always loaded up FCP first.

I'd look at some of the online tutorials for how to use each software and see which one makes more sense. Lynda.com has good tutorials that I've used myself but there are lots of others out there too.