Thread: Lens Mount - Quick Question

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Lens Mount - Quick Question 
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but I've been a troll for awhile so I'm not completely in the dark here.

Before the new updates today, the 2/3" Scarlet had a mini-red mount/c-mount lens mount. Now it doesn't list it on the specs sheet but does mention removable lens mounts on the accessories page.

So, basically, will the 2/3 have removable lens mounts? Reason I'm asking is because I really want the high frame rate of the 2/3 because I do a lot of skateboard videography but would have difficulty in finding lenses (fisheye for instance) and didn't want to be stuck with a weird mount having to search for adapters and such.

If I can slap on any lens mount then this camera is perfect for me (and unbelievably inexpensive).

Thanks,
    APow

I think I'm just being an idiot and confusing 2/3 and s35.

Going to go vote for a 3k s35 now...

Hi Aaron,

And welcome onboard.

But my guess would be that you´ve not been a troll :)

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Power View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but I've been a troll for awhile so I'm not completely in the dark here.

Before the new updates today, the 2/3" Scarlet had a mini-red mount/c-mount lens mount. Now it doesn't list it on the specs sheet but does mention removable lens mounts on the accessories page.

So, basically, will the 2/3 have removable lens mounts? Reason I'm asking is because I really want the high frame rate of the 2/3 because I do a lot of skateboard videography but would have difficulty in finding lenses (fisheye for instance) and didn't want to be stuck with a weird mount having to search for adapters and such.

If I can slap on any lens mount then this camera is perfect for me (and unbelievably inexpensive).

Thanks,
    APow
    see this: http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23184

paul
    Paul Brand
    Pretty Good Productions
    Coeur d Alene ID USA

"The best portion of a good man's life is the little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love." --William Wordsworth

Thanks Paul.

Now in that FAQ he says "Able to accept a wide range of lens mounts, including mini-RED Primes, B4, C mount, PL, 35mm..." for the 2/3 body only scarlet.

So I can in fact put a 35mm lens onto the 2/3 scarlet? Why do I hear people talking about using a 35 adapter on scarlets if this is the case?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb, I just want to make sure I know what I want way before these puppies are released, as I'd imagine the wait list will be pretty long.

Thanks,
    AP

Edit: Just read in the other forum of Canon/Nikon lenses fitting it, still trying to wrap my head around the increased magnification of these on a smaller sensor.

6. #6 Crop Factor/Mag. Ratio on Scarlet 
    Aaron,
    Here is a chart explaining the increased mag./crop factor with sensors. At the bottom is the crop factor (or increased magnification). The smaller the sensor, the more it has to "fill" to match the 35mm size--thus a higher magnification ratio. That's why the common 1/3" sensors in a number of prosumer cams have a 7.2x crop factor. The 2/3" is actually higher than what I originally mentioned---it will provide 3.93 crop factor. So whatever standard 35mm Nikon or Canon lens (36x24) you put on there will multiply the focal length 3.93x--close enough to call 4x on the Scarlet 2.3" sensor size.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Power View Post
    Thanks Paul.

Now in that FAQ he says "Able to accept a wide range of lens mounts, including mini-RED Primes, B4, C mount, PL, 35mm..." for the 2/3 body only scarlet.

So I can in fact put a 35mm lens onto the 2/3 scarlet? Why do I hear people talking about using a 35 adapter on scarlets if this is the case?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb, I just want to make sure I know what I want way before these puppies are released, as I'd imagine the wait list will be pretty long.

Thanks,
    AP

Edit: Just read in the other forum of Canon/Nikon lenses fitting it, still trying to wrap my head around the increased magnification of these on a smaller sensor.

7. #7 B4 mount back clearance 
    I've got a few decent B4 lenses, but their rear element is too deep to use on some Panasonic cameras I have. Is there any word on what rear lens depth the 2/3 Scarlet will accommodate?

Steve, Thanks for posting that mag/crop factor chart. Very helpful. To be honest, differing sensor sizes confuse the crap out me, so I have another question: let's say that I buy the 2/3" Scarlet and use a PL mount with Cinema Lenses (ie. Cooke s4s, or something like them), instead of Nikon or Canon lenses. Am I still looking at magnifying the focal length by 4? Therefore an 18mm Prime would be around 72mm on the 2/3" sensor? Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Solowiej View Post
    I've got a few decent B4 lenses, but their rear element is too deep to use on some Panasonic cameras I have. Is there any word on what rear lens depth the 2/3 Scarlet will accommodate?
    I would like to know this as well.

paul