Thread: Euro import tarrif changes

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Euro import tarrif changes 
    While inquiring about import tariffs for tripods (3.7%) I was talking to the adviser about digital cameras that make movies and he told me of this change.

Up to now digital stills cameras (under which tariff many of us have imported our Red Ones) is zero duty, but now the rule is based on the resolution, speed and data capacity of the camera.

If it is greater than 800x600, 23fps and 30 mins it now comes under video which is 8525 80 91 00 at 4.9% but that is as long as it has no auxiliary inputs for audio or video that means it can record (or mix) sources other than from the camera itself or its own mics. i.e. like some camcorders. In this case it will be 12.5%.

I don't think any flavour of Scarlet is going to avoid duty from now on.

John Redfern

Redfern Animation
    Argyll

Well that would suck for future purchases. My RED One delivery just cleared FedEx customs clearance at 0% Duty, 17.5% VAT, so just got in under the wire!

Looked up the online TARIC codes again, and can't see new categories based on resolution, speed or data capacity. Until updated, can't see how they can argue it's a video camera, as video has specific SD/HD industry definitions and RED doesn't fit into them.
    Director/Digital Camera Operator/2nd AC/DIT/Data Manager
    London, UK.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

With a 8gig card you only get 4min of video, so it sounds like a good idea to order the 320gig separatly...

The guy I talked to was at HM Customs and Revenue had had to go and look up to make sure he was right. At the moment he says it is just a memo to staff so it may take some time to filter through.

Interestingly, he said that it was quite normal and acceptable to an import assessor to lump lenses and accessories all together if the come in as a lump but if they choose to do it separately, they have the right.

So far they seem to be fairly reasonable and sensible. My Red Rock matte box came in at zero so did the ET EVF mount but I was charged for extra mounts for the Red and as it was such a small sum I let it go.

Cheers

John