Thread: Conventional DVD

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Conventional DVD 
    Will RED Ray use Conventional DVD Media to record to, or will it be custom made discs? Just wondering if I would be able to use Recordable DVDs straight from Best Buy.

I believe it was standard dual layer dvds as the media, but that of course is subject to change.
    watching budgets shrink since 2000

www.adriancorreia.com

It would be really nice if they used a blu-ray drive. The higher capacity disks would let you have higher bitrates or far longer play times. And, of course, they could still read conventional DVDs.

Licensing might be an issue for RED, but I'm not sure if they would have to deal with that if they were using OEM drive mechanisms.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Gentle View Post
    Licensing might be an issue for RED, but I'm not sure if they would have to deal with that if they were using OEM drive mechanisms.
    They would have to deal with DRM licensing even if they use OEM drives, unless they don't use DRM, but I would think they would want to give us copy protection options. So, yeah, I would hope they go with Blu-Ray, and go through the DRM licensing somehow.

The data flow would go something like this: The content producer feeds unencrypted REDRAY-encoded data into the Blu-Ray workflow, which encrypts it and writes it to discs. The REDRAY player has a custom DRM-licensed chip with that unencrypts, decodes the REDRAY codec, and re-encrypts for HDCP (or whatever they use for 4K) out to the projector.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Newman View Post
    They would have to deal with DRM licensing even if they use OEM drives, unless they don't use DRM, but I would think they would want to give us copy protection options. So, yeah, I would hope they go with Blu-Ray, and go through the DRM licensing somehow.

The data flow would go something like this: The content producer feeds unencrypted REDRAY-encoded data into the Blu-Ray workflow, which encrypts it and writes it to discs. The REDRAY player has a custom DRM-licensed chip with that unencrypts, decodes the REDRAY codec, and re-encrypts for HDCP (or whatever they use for 4K) out to the projector.
    I'm sure that if they did use Blu-Ray drives, they'd use it as a data drive only (no "Blu-Ray workflow"), as their codec is not compatible at all with any Blu-Ray video standard. Therefore the DRM would have to be completely separate and, if they choose to use it (I'm fine with that as long as I can choose for my disks to not use it) it would probably be the same system they would use if they go with regular DVDs.

I was thinking they could piggy-back on the Blu-Ray DRM by storing their data within wrappers that look like Blu-Ray video. That way, the back-end Blu-Ray workflow (including hardware encryption) would treat it as video. Of course the video would not be playable on a normal Blu-Ray player, but it would also not be copyable.

I hate DRM of any kind, and hope RED will stay far away from it.

I have two blu-ray players, one for American and one for European blu rays... that makes sense. :wacko:

DRM mostly hurts the legal users, the illegal ones always gets around it somehow anyway.
    RED EPIC-W #1021, RED EPIC-X DRAGON #250, EPIC-M DRAGON #646, RED ONE #476 MX "MOTHER"
    Commercials | Live | Concerts | Corporate | RED rentals
    Red Pro Primes T1.8: 18,25,35,50,85,100 (all metric), red CF zoom 18-50 T3 (imperial), Red Pro Zoom 17-50mm T2.9 (m), Red zoom 50-150 T3 (m) + 300mm T2.8 (i), RED Pro Zoom 18-85mm (i)
    KOWA Cine Prominar 20,40,100mm
    www.groovyentertainment.com

Whether you think you can or think you can't - you are right. ~Henry Ford

[QUOTE=linhuapp;467210bridesmaid dresses, flower girl dresses,prom dresses,plus size wedding dresses, designer wedding dresses如果此信息影响了论坛,请及时删除[/QUOTE]

Is there something about this forum you guys aren't telling me?

(Original message deleted by moderators. Wonder what made them pick this forum).
    Last edited by David M; 08-28-2009 at 06:42 PM. Reason: To deactivate links

Quote Originally Posted by David M View Post
    Is there somehting about this forum you guys aren't telling me?
    You should really get rid of the links you quoted in your post, or the spammers win...

What I would personally like is a simple ability of assigning a set of serial numbers to a show when mastering the disc, that way it'll make for easy theatrical distro with a bit of security for the producers and investors.

My Work frankjonen.com | cinelooks.com
    My Play flickr | JPGMAG

Hook Up facebook | twitter