Thread: Cheapest Viewing

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Cheapest Viewing 
    If I can't afford the LCD monitor, let alone the EVF, at this point, can I use either the HDMI or one of the HD-SDI outputs on RED One for framing/viewing with a cheaper 3rd party LCD monitor?

Appreciate any insight.

The LCD really is your cheapest bet to have any quality. I went to the Red booth and while I first recommend everyone to go with the EVF, I can understand not having that at first. But man, at least pony up for the LCD!

But for the sake of discussion, it is technically possible to go less. You can spend $300 on a 19" 720p monitor that has HDMI in
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1165610379206
    and use the HDMI outs from Red.
    "Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible." -MC Escher

Isn't the problem that HDMI out is just the image, no menu's or focus assist? That would basically make it impossible to shoot with.

I would hope that would be a selectable option, so you could turn the menus on or off on the video out.

Quote Originally Posted by sander kamp View Post
    Isn't the problem that HDMI out is just the image, no menu's or focus assist? That would basically make it impossible to shoot with.
    I thought the menus are displayed on the on-camera screen!
    Miltos
    www.pilalitos.com
    EPIC-X #418, RED-MX #1473

Menu's on the back makes sense I guess since all the buttons are there...

I remember someone from RED saying the HDMI is just for image but I can't find the post anywhere. Someone from RED help us out?

HDMI is (at least for the moment) 720p resolutoin and have framing, time code, and some others options, but it won't have focus and exposure assist, but remember that "crossing the lines", didn't have these options neither.

You might be able to find a way to plug a cheap and big LCD display out of the EVF or LCD connector (of the red camera) in order to have those assist options shown on a big LCD.

antoine.

Senior Member Dominique Grenier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laboprod View Post
    You might be able to find a way to plug a cheap and big LCD display out of the EVF or LCD connector (of the red camera) in order to have those assist options shown on a big LCD.
    You'll need some sort of custom cable to do so, because if I recall correctly, RED is using a proprietary cable for the EVF and LCD, which you won't find anywhere... for now.

Thanks you all for the input.

I was thinking using those sub $1,000 6" to 9" on-board LCDs I saw at NAB this year, using HD-SDI output. Does any one know if I can still access menu control from somewhere else?

Dude, I don't know of any sub $1000 HD-SDI monitors. If you do, please post link. The cheapest I found was the Red LCD (technically not HD-SDI, but you get my point). So actually the cheapest HD-SDI lcd was a Marshall for over $1700