Thread: ENG SD Pro B4 mount lens for HD?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 ENG SD Pro B4 mount lens for HD? 
    Does anyone know what SD B4 mount ENG/EFP lenses resolve enought res to be used to shoot 1080? Or at least 720p for DVCPRO HD work?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Does anyone know what SD B4 mount ENG/EFP lenses resolve enought res to be used to shoot 1080? Or at least 720p for DVCPRO HD work?
    Hi,

With all due respect, none.

Stephen
    Epic Dragon owner, the first upgraded camera in Switzerland :D

And for those needing a slightly longer focal length range for their zoom we have this!

http://www.specialoptics.com/SBIR.htm

Albeit a tad heavy for stedicam use.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post
    Hi,

Stephen
    Indeed. There's a reason they make HD B4 lenses.

You can use the SD lenses, though - they'll just be quite soft and may aberrate toward the edges.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post
    Hi,

Stephen

Actually, how did we come to this conclusion?

I have never read a test report/review on B4 optics (any professional film/video lens for that matter) from a neutral trade magazine with MTF comparison or other kinds of resolution charts. If I missed something and am being ignorant, please shed some light.

Do we make this statement just base on manufacturers' claims?

Having tested a high end 20K SD lens vs. a HD lens, even on a good quality SD camera you can see the difference. Color rendition, contrast and even in the detail. We then tried the SD lens (just for kicks) on a Sony F900, did the comparison with the HD lens and then captured footage to make a quick split screen. The SD lens was definitely not up to the challenge.

There is always some variation even within a given model, so you might find a good lens if you were to test a large batch of lenses, but I can't imagine why you would go that route instead of just looking for a good used HD lens.

"I can't imagine why you would go that route instead of just looking for a good used HD lens."

correct me if I'm wrong, but the difference seems to be about $10,000, even in used glass. Or are there affordable used HD B4 lenses?

I remember seeing some frame grabs up on the web. A comparison of an SD lens and an HD lens (just tried to look for it but can't find the link). There was a difference in resolution, but not as huge as you might expect. The biggest issue was that the SD lens seemed to suffer from a lot more Chromatic abberation. So I wonder if this is down to the glass or the assembly tolerances. If it is the latter then you might get lucky with a particular lens.

Martin

Re: b4 SD vs. HD.

It totally depends on the two pieces of glass you are comparing. Some early HD lenses were essentially rebranded SD (at least from one manufacturer). There's a huge difference between the "industrial/professional" and "broadcast" grade SD optics. Also, witness marks are not in the same place on all makes & models of HD glass, so you'll want to be careful.

The nice thing is that modern Fuji HD optics start at a very reasonable price, pass blue light, and are not really more expensive than comparable SD ENG lenses (new).

Even on many SD cameras you can EASILY see a difference between HD and SD optics, sometimes the difference is startling.

Every DP I know shooting SD (SDX900/DVW790 etc) wants HD optics. It's my policy to include HD lenses at no extra charge on SD cameras. There's a lot of rental houses that are heavily invested in SD lenses and won't/can't do that.

Some of the best B4 HD lenses, and my personal favorites:

http://www.digiprimes.com/2005/home/
    http://www.fujinonbroadcast.com/cgi-...ucts.cgi?p=351
    http://www.fujinonbroadcast.com/cgi-...ucts.cgi?p=283

I.

Dalsa Digital Cinema
    www.dalsa.com/dc

Senior Member J. Bernard Vallon's Avatar
    I think if your trying to save money on your RED package, SD B4 lenses aren't the way to go. You can get a mean set of nikon primes and zooms for pretty cheap, <$3000 total, that give a high enough quality image for a 4k sensor. You might not be able to use one lens for every shot like you could with some B4s, but its an easy decision for me.
    John Bernard Vallon
    JBV Media
    443-834-9023
    john (a) jbvmedia.com
    www.jbvmedia.com