Thread: Workflow Generic Question

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Workflow Generic Question 
    Hi Everyone,

Going Red will be a considerable upgrade in my line of work. I work both for independent film making, publicity, events and institutional videos. Naturally after acquiring my 2 new Red One's (which I intend to do early next year), my work area will start focusing more on indie film making, publicity and possibly, documentaries.

Presently, in the Video section of my studio I work in HDV, with 2 Canon XL-H1, a Canopus Edius NX NLE system, and a Workstation with 2 Xeon Dual Core 5100 chipset, Tyan i5000XT Motherboard, 8GB Ram FB-Dimm (useless beyond 3GB, since I use XP and avoid Vista at all costs), etc, etc, etc....

So, obviously this represents a considerable upgrade, just by upgrading to a system based on 2 Red One Cameras!

Now, my greatest doubts are in workflow, as far as software and hardware goes... As far as I can understand, I think I don't really need to do much of an upgrade in my workstation and NLE, if I wish to export in HD. All I need is to capture through firewire into REDCINE, and from there export it in a format that would be workable in my NLE softwares (Edius Pro, After Effects, Premiere Pro) and from there export it to the desired media.

But what if I want to export 2k or 3k or even 4k, in a near future? How can I work post production? Will AE, Edius, etc... Accept 2K or 4K footage?

Do I need to buy a system like AVID Nitris DX or something that expensive? Is there any advantages in investing in such a high end broadcast system, or is there any other method to work with 2K to 4K kind of footage from RED??

Thank you in advance for your enlightenments regarding this matter.

Miguel

I can not comment on Edius, as I have never used it before, but you probably don't need to upgrade too much software - just add some additional attached storage.

I think your workflow would look something like this:

Transcode to offline format (whatever format works best in Edius) in Redcine.
    Edit in Edius.
    Create EDL and import into After Effects.
    Relink Red Raw in After Effects
    Finsh & Color Grade
    Export to any resolution including 4K

Hope this helps.

Edgar

Sure does... Thanks!

I hadn't realised that part of relinking REd Raw in AE was possible. I guess that paying $9,000 to $30,000 for an AVID Software/Hardware system is serious overkill with the RED advent... I guess.

Banned
    In fact the SDK have been released a couple of mounth now, you should really wait until everybody support it, and new player arrive. Red support have been almost for Apple and assimiliate...You gonna see better and better integration with many differents products. One of the most important to me is the native support of R3D, so we do not have to render (time) and store (ressource) 4K file or just HD file...And just to be clear, I just speak about finishing process (conform, title, some effects, versionning, mastering). VFX shots should be render for a much more easier integration along the pipeline. The biggest problem is support R3D is very CPU intensif. We made a hudge step with the new quad xeon in saving render time, so it sounds like a step backward...Support the R3D natively with a dedicate hardware to debayern the JPEG2000 compliant would be a very good solution. Those card exist because JPEG2000 is already (or tends to be?) a standar for DCI. But these kind of integration is a long process too. so see what happen.