Thread: Ski movies

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Ski movies 
    Banned
    Anyone thinking about using the Red one cam for ski/snowboard movies? And what do you guys expect for its performance shooting glaring light snow contrast black rocks..

I guess 120 fps will be a nice feature for those fine slow shoots :cold:

If you're a good skier then it'd be great. I'm not, therefore I won't... hey maybe I could sleigh behind someone skiing I suppose :)

Performance wise I think it'd be pretty good. Unless the camera is being jerked about violently. You will want to use compact flash or similar over the reddrive.

Perhaps a job for a steadicam too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fix View Post
    I don't think that you want to be dragging a big raid around to capture that ;)... You can only record 60p redcode raw to the RED-DRIVE in 2K, and 30p in 4K.

Hopefully there will be an upgrade (processor and/or software) to increase this later on.

RedRaidSleigh Stephen?

Senior Member Daniel Reichenbach's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix View Post
    Anyone thinking about using the Red one cam for ski/snowboard movies? And what do you guys expect for its performance shooting glaring light snow contrast black rocks..

I do quiet a lot of skistuff, will RED use for a commercial on a new phantastic ski, no doubt about white RED will handle it I'm shure. 120 fps is a great thing, for speedramping ASO, most of the time something arround 60 to 80 is a good choice, but I would really like to us 1000 frames/sec to show ski torsion, the power of movements, so I'm hoping for to have this gadget soon on a RED firmwareupdate in the near future, technically, there should be not this big problem, most of the time, it is inough to have 3 to 5 sec. storagetime, and with REDraw, there must be a possibility to go up to this speed.
    Daniel Reichenbach
    Director/DOP

EPIC X 109

www.elementp.ch

Yes, we will be shooting some, not only ski but just snow and mountains in general.
    What concerns me the most is the fact that in such shots you want to show wide angle views.
    Also the contrast and white and dark elements in the picture.
    We can’t find any good wide angle lenses that will not show more then one to two pixels of chromatic aberration and it is visible on the white clearly. I think the only way it is to try to fix it in post if possible.
    Zeiss is coming with 14mm Master Prime in 6 month or so. Maybe it will be good enough.
    So far the only lenses that will do in such conditions is 65mm Zeiss and with bit less result on the far edges of the frame 65mm Cooke.
    But we can use 65 or 50 mm only in some shots out there.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulClements View Post
    RedRaidSleigh Stephen?
    To the lab! :)

-Stephen

Banned
    120fps is a truly nice feature for catching the moment, than again thats 720p. I dont know how far you get with the dual raid with 60fps 1080p, thats in recording time. Flash for deep cold.

1080p/2k in my opinion would be the best for shooting ski movies to tv/bluray/hd-dvd. Even for movie theaters IMO.

Than there is the lens problem with those clearing bright lights. 1080p may be ok, but 4k... ouch. So IMO 1080p/2k seems like a good choice.

I sure hope it works. Planning on using my S-16 lenses and flash drive to get the job done. BTW I have used the HVX-200 a bunch this year and it does pretty good in the snow. It was a little sketchy when the temps dropped below -10f. Hopefully the Red will be able to handle the cold.