Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: 4K 16:9 HD

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 4K 16:9 HD 
    Looking to find out the difference between

4K 16:9 and 4K 16:9HD??

Thanks,

Johnny

RED One 4K 16:9 is 4096x2304

RED 4KHD is 3840x2160 it's quad HD 1080p. The 4KHD mode is great if you will be shooting to go directly to 1080p.

IMO, I think they should call it quad-HD since it's somewhat of a standardized resolution in the industry now. Then again, Samsung and others are calling their Quad-HD displays "4K" when they're really 3840 pixels across... Whatever.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Since 4k HD (aka QuadHD) was introduced it has been the standard resolution me and my crews have been shooting - with superb results. Almost all of my productions are for HDTV and/or BluRay finishes, so QuadHD makes the most sense. It re-samples down to 1080p great. If we need higher frame rates than 29.97 we've been shooting 3k. Well-shot, and re-sampled RED QuadHD and 3k cut very well together.

Those are the same resolutions I routinely shoot for stock footage, which is an important part of my business - everything QuadHD, and then 3k for frame rates above 29.97.
    Executive Producer, Director, DP, Cinematographer
    Red pioneer: RED One 0008, Red One "London", Red One "Hollywood", Epic M 0008, Epic X (2)
    Golden Gate 3D - www.gg3d.com

Co-Producer, IMAX film CUBA - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ijvjeZ89qY
    Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/stevegibby/

We edit with camera generated proxies in FCP - No issues for cutting but it looks like poop. We can live with it but I just tested the 4KHD setting at RC28 in both 23.98 & 29.97 and for some reason, it doesn't look low resolution but will not play more than a few frames without RT choking up.

I tested this on FCP7 with camera build 20.1.2 all with the MAX setting unchecked. FCP sequence setting as ProRes 4444 1080p 23.98. RT is unlimited, quality is low, frame rate is full. At the same time I tested every other flavor of 4K except anamorphic and they all play as normal in both 23.98 & 29.97.

4KHD seems like pretty nice way to do things but this will bone us to no end. I've never actually used 4KHD before, is this how its always been or is this a new build/FCP issue. Any others experiencing this issue?

Always shot 4k 16:9 and used the small proxies.. 1024x576 ie square pixel pal.. set to high and render out..

plays fine in FCP.. NO MAX on cam

Never tried QuadHD.. heard there were issues :-/

If you L&T 4k HD does it come in at 1920x1080 prores then ?

s
    --------------------------
    MatteBlackFilms
    Space Digital Visual Effects & Post Production

Always shoot 4K 16:9HD. Smoot math, save time and $.
    JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Blackledge View Post
    Always shot 4k 16:9 and used the small proxies.. 1024x576 ie square pixel pal.. set to high and render out..

plays fine in FCP.. NO MAX on cam

Never tried QuadHD.. heard there were issues :-/

If you L&T 4k HD does it come in at 1920x1080 prores then ?

s
    We don't actually use the L&T system, I just drop the camera generated proxies onto the timeline and start cutting. When I send the sequence to Color, it sees through to the R3D files. I guess you can L&T it into anything but the actual frame size is NOT resized on the fly to 1920x1080 as seems to be the current myth. Its actually 3840x2160.

What's so odd is that 4KHD QT files don't playback in FCP7, even the P ones. RT can't do it. I'm not trying to do this on some laptop either, its a MacPro 2.93GHz 16core deal, no messing around.

4KHD seems to be the way to go because of the math (Even though it does change the FOV you get out of your lenses from 16:9 4K) but I don't want to be like all the other saps rendering for days before being able to cut.

Normally we also use the 4K 16:9 for projects destined for HDCAM or broadcast but always trying to make things better ;)
    Michael "Strawberry" Romano
    ICG Local 600 DIT | Honolulu, Hawaii
    Mobile: 239-218-4452
    michael@strawberrycolor.com
    http://www.strawberrycolor.com/
    http://www.sightandsoundhawaii.com/

**PLEASE USE MY EMAIL, NOT PM's IF YOU NEED TO TALK TO ME**

8. #8 difference... 
    ...and I've just been told that with Red-Drive and RC36, you can't shoot 30fps at 4k16:9, 4kHD is OK though.... you need Red-RAM to get the data rate through for 16:9.
    I thought I had a camera problem... (well, another camera problem)
    logicAL

Have yet to upgrade to the latest build, but I noticed the new manual for build 20 mentions both the RED Ram and RED Drive now allow for full 25fps @ 4k16:9 / RC36, is this correct?

10.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #10 4K modes 
    I'll have to check the text in the Ops Guide. We didn't change anything...

but as for 4K HD... not sure what was heard but there are NO issues....
    Last edited by Stuart English; 07-31-2009 at 08:25 AM.
    Workflow Wizard