Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Dsmc..

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Banned
    I'm not impressed by the 5D video. It looks like 720p upsampled and sharpened. Not pleasing at all and kinda crunchy looking.

I'm surprised there "appears" to be more jelly in these clips than what my old Sony point-n-shoot pocket camera does, but then it(my ps camera) has other non-pro issues anyway...

~Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by androbot2084 View Post
    One thing I do not like about the Canon 5d II is that you pay $2600 and it only shoots 30 frames per second. Can shooting at 30 frames per second be considered high definition?
    Framerate and resolution are 2 different things. Don't try to glue them together.

Quote Originally Posted by reality View Post
    I'm not impressed by the 5D video. It looks like 720p upsampled and sharpened. Not pleasing at all and kinda crunchy looking.
    I give you that. But so far its much more pleasing to me at least than my Sony HDV 1080i/Mini DV due to the small sensor on the Sony giving an almost total depth of field and looking very video like. My main interest in the Canon 5D mark II is the 21MP pixels for applications we develop for 3d capture systems/software. If the “movie” dynamic imagery is reasonably stable then we can employ it for real time face capture and character movement. I like the concept that on the Canon you can intersperse high res shots while you “rolling” although it leaves one second gaps in the footage. I/we are mainly exploring the FX angles, but if the images are stable it might find terrific utility for 3d capture in Video Games content development.

I/we are just as eager to get our hands on the DSMC as it solves a lot technical problems for us at potentially a tenth of the price for what we have to do. [We are currently designing more advanced systems around RED ONE and Leaf digital backs, would be nice to eliminate the redundancy for our applications]

So “crunchy” images with a shallow depth of field may characterize this type of image capture, (hopefully without jelly).

The video clips I have seen are of the girl looking at the bridge, the squirrel, the bird, the cars and the girl in the night time street, admittedly at a lower res than the original.

Quote Originally Posted by androbot2084 View Post
    One thing I do not like about the Canon 5d II is that you pay $2600 and it only shoots 30 frames per second. Can shooting at 30 frames per second be considered high definition?
    High definition is usually defined by spatial resolution, not temporal. The RED ONE shoots 30 fps at 4k. And thats high definition for most people ;)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric/VERAXYZ View Post
    I give you that. But so far its much more pleasing to me at least than my Sony HDV 1080i/Mini DV due to the small sensor on the Sony giving an almost total depth of field and looking very video like.
    Absolutely, but I guess I was expecting better quality.

Banned
    5D Mark 11 not that much pretty or better than D90 beacouse it dsn't have 24fps... (only 30fps) and without 24fps its usless with 1080p.. its shame for canon and if they started with 24p they hav to stop there hd camcorder busniess lol ....so jimm.... i have one humble request just dont say to wait for morethan 3 or 4 months to get DSMC after announcement....

Quote Originally Posted by reality View Post
    Absolutely, but I guess I was expecting better quality.

We can always hope…my expectations are a little lower but we are very much hoping for minimal Jelly/skew which also may be a far too high expectation.

We like the concept that we can gather short dynamic sequences, using our own lenses, with shallow depth field with large spatial sensor and a half decent (ish) dynamic range. Other than RED ONE, we would otherwise be stuck using industrial cameras that have very stable imagery but looks frankly very industrial. The color table/compression/dynamic range seems a bit nicer on the Canon 5D MII than a nasty industrial camera (even when the industrial camera costs $10k+).

Never the less a DSMC type camera is desperately needed.

Quote Originally Posted by arun View Post
    5D Mark 11 not that much pretty or better than D90 beacouse it dsn't have 24fps... (only 30fps) and without 24fps its usless with 1080p.. its shame for canon and if they started with 24p they hav to stop there hd camcorder busniess lol ....so jimm.... i have one humble request just dont say to wait for morethan 3 or 4 months to get DSMC after announcement....
    Why do you say it's useless with 30p and not 24p?

Quote Originally Posted by BobSimon View Post
    In the DSLR Killer thread, somebody has written: " The new DSMC will be cheaper than Nikon. Instead of $1200 for D90 body, DSMC body would be $500. (I believe DSMC will be a lower priced knockoff of D90.) "

is this true? The new DSMC is a cheaper version of D90, for $500?
    If true, that would be wonderful. The D90 is a fantastic camera at $1300.
    I would wait for the $500 DSMC.
    That message was really strange and I would not give it any kind of credibility. Jim may have contacts with manufacturers in China but I would picture him flying Tourist Class Commercial(*) before he would put out a product that was not designed with the fully professional services of the RED Team.

Jim generally builds cameras he wants to own. That means nothing cheap. He has already mentioned a metal body. I would expect his price point to be from D300-D700 territory - that is, $2,000-3,000. He's going to build something massively more capable than either camera, but it will be at a fair price, not an excessively low one.

Like others, I'm still trying to figure out how it's differentiated from Scarlet or even RED ONE but like most people on this list, if Jim builds it, I'd like one.

D

(*) Jim owns a Falcon Jet, so you can guess the odds of him flying on any airline. It's actually pretty cost effective to fly as long as he brings his team along.