Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Dsmc..

Closed Thread
Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    I gotta ask...

Is this DSLR multi mount? If so, Red WILL slaughter the others, assuming the image quality also competes, etc... which I'm sure it will.
    Chris Nuzzaco - Director of Photography / Colorist
    chris@chrisnuzzaco.com
    www.chrisnuzzaco.com

D90 is a fantastic camera, a game changer for $1200. But it has skew. no hiding it. Just like Jannard said, this is not a videocamera.
    MKII is better. I looked at some of the stuff shot with MKII, it is really fantastic without any skew. it costs twice as much though for twice the resolution.
    Both use sensors made by Sony.
    Sony expected to come out with a 28MP still/video cameara soon. Probably under $3000. That will be even more interesting.
    I have no idea where will DSMC fit among all these cameras.

3. #173 Where DSMC will fit 
    Quote Originally Posted by BobSimon View Post
    ...I have no idea where will DSMC fit among all these cameras.
    Even if a major DSLR maker releases a camera with HD video with no skew, from what I read of the DSMC so far, it appears that it will offer far above simply "HD video with no skew".

But the most intriguing thing to me is, RED provides a way to upgrade the sensor, audio boards, etc, plus add features via software updates for their products, yet when Sony/Canon/Nikon develop the next generation of features/abilities on a camera, you have to go out and buy a completely new camera body from them if you want those features/abilities.

The upgradable, modular design is one of the main attention getters for me. If, as promised, it also shoots astounding still/video footage that will eclipse what the major camera companies are offering with their top models, it will create it's own class of camera and will likely leave the major camera companies with the question of how to "fit" something into this new class.

MKII is better. I looked at some of the stuff shot with MKII, it is really fantastic without any skew. it costs twice as much though for twice the resolution. Both use sensors made by Sony.
    Sorry, but all Canon DSLRs have sensors made by Canon, which is why I prefer Canon DSLRs over Sony and Nikon DSLRs.

The Canon sensors simply provide better image quality at BASE ISO (I don't care about all this high ISO/low noise nonsense), with finer details, while every Sony sensor in Nikon and Sony DSLRs I've seen somehow manages to smudge fine details a bit too much.

Canon sensors are far superior, and the challenge for RED's DSMC is to have a sensor that matches the characteristics of the Canon sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    Sorry, but all Canon DSLRs have sensors made by Canon, which is why I prefer Canon DSLRs over Sony and Nikon DSLRs.
    Canon is using a Sony sensor in MKII.
    The sensor in 10 MP Canon SX1 IS may use a canon sensor. BTW this camera also has live view and 1080p video, just like D90 and MKII.
    24MP Sony alpha 900 camera has live view but no video function.

Interesting.

6.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    ...and the challenge for RED's DSMC is to have a sensor that matches the characteristics of the Canon sensor.
    We have more challenges than just that. But after we release, Canon will also have a few challenges.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    We have more challenges than just that. But after we release, Canon will also have a few challenges.
    Gauntlet = Thrown!
    Jaime Vallés

Check out my Graphic Design portfolio: www.JaimeVallesDesign.com
    CASI CASI
    - A feature film on HBO Video! - www.CASICASI.com

Quote Originally Posted by no_treble View Post
    But the most intriguing thing to me is, RED provides a way to upgrade the sensor, audio boards, etc, plus add features via software updates for their products, yet when Sony/Canon/Nikon develop the next generation of features/abilities on a camera, you have to go out and buy a completely new camera body from them if you want those features/abilities.
    Very True. These companies do not upgrade an older camera.
    RED is the only company that will take an older model and give you a newer model. You have to pay the difference in price. Is this a permanent sales feature or is it only for the RED ONE Camera?

Quote Originally Posted by no_treble View Post
    The upgradable, modular design is one of the main attention getters for me. If, as promised, it also shoots astounding still/video footage that will eclipse what the major camera companies are offering with their top models, it will create it's own class of camera and will likely leave the major camera companies with the question of how to "fit" something into this new class.
    Jim Jannard has mentioned somewhere on this website that he will announce details of the DSMC in December-2008, or something to that effect.
    So, nobody knows for sure what are the features of the DSMC, at this time.

We can only hope that the camera would be compact like Cannon/Nikon and lower in price than D90 and have more pixels without skew.

Canon/Nikon/Sony have very good reputation. Many people would opt for the name brand at high prices than a lower priced newer camera company.
    So, it will be interesting to see how DSMC will be perceived by consumers in comparison to D90/MKII etc.

I predict D90 will go down in price by 50% come December. In 2009, Nikon and Canon and Sony will introduce newer models with better specs for under $1000.

Canon is using a Sony sensor in MKII.
    The sensor in 10 MP Canon SX1 IS may use a canon sensor. BTW this camera also has live view and 1080p video, just like D90 and MKII.
    24MP Sony alpha 900 camera has live view but no video function.

Interesting.
    I was thinking whether to register now, or wait until later. But Your posts decided it for me.

Canon has always made all of its sensors for their D-SLRs. They are now making all of their sensors for all of their D-SLRs.

In fact, Canon pioneered the CMOS sensor for high quality D-SLR usage.

Canon now makes the sensor for the G-10. A sensor, in earlier incarnations, that was made by Sony.

Please get the facts correct before posting. If you are corrected later, then look up the information before disagreeing with the other poster, as you will likely try to do with my post.

This is information that you can easily find out.

Nikon is the one using Sony sensors, though the new sensor for the D3/700 is Nikon's first that was completely designed by themselves. This sensor is believed to be made by Sony, though some in the industry think it may be made by one of two others.

So, I'm giving you an out. You can now claim that you actually meant Nikon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post

Jim
    I must say, you are making rather large claims, without presenting any information as to what you are doing.

While your present products are very fine, this is a different category for you.

I've played a bit with the 5D mkII, and can say that the still images are are about the best I've seen so far from a 35mm size sensor. The Nikon D3/700 have just a bit better S/N, but overall the 5D mkIIs image is better when blown up.

I haven't checked the video (doing my own shooting), because of time, but it's not intended for serious high quality footage, but rather, for short bursts for photojournalistic purposes. For that, the samples I saw were more than good enough.

I don't understand why the discussion here seems to be thinking anything else.

I hope the DSMC will be a kick-ass machine. But a camera system is more than just a body. It's interesting that neither Canon or Nikon talk about new products before the official announcement, where specs are released.

I respect you too much to think you are talking FUD, with the intention of holding up purchases.

But why should anyone think that a newcomer in the D-SLR business would be capable of dethroning two long time masters?

I'm just curious, as you will have a customer base that consists, at first at least, of loyal RED customers, why you are so willing to talk up the product so much, but reluctant to give any information as to what we can expect, other that the fact that it will take stills and video?

Surely, with such a short timeframe left until the official unveiling, no one can copy any of the features or specs?