Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Dsmc..

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albertthao@gmail.com View Post
    The picture Jim posted awhile back. It must be this one...
    This is an image, an early design render, of Scarlet with the Smart Handle accessory attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Guy View Post
    OK, so I have read this thread. If the DSMC will be so great, why would you need Scarlet? Why wouldn't RED just throw more resources into it's DSMC project?
    At a guess Scarlet will be smaller and lighter. Also it will have more auto functions and a deeper DOF, making it more suited to the one man band/ soccermom market. I suspect the DSMC will be geared solely towards the pro end of the spectrum, with a larger sensor and probably higher price point. There is also the question of framerates. DSMC may peak at a lower FPS than either Scarlet or Epic.

Quote Originally Posted by David Dennis View Post
    I don't think that's Scarlet. If my memory serves, Scarlet was long and narrow like a video camera, and this is short and wide like a DSLR.
    Big Jon is right y'all! That is a render of the Scarlet with the smart handle attached. I recommend listening to the red centre podcast from the folks at fxguide.com It's a great podcast where they discuss all things RED. I didn't see the "Smart Handle" in the forums first, they talked about what it was in their podcast and then I found the image. For me there was no confusion as to why a Scarlet render looked so much like a DSLR.

The picture is Scarlet with the optional smart handle attachment.

See http://www.scarletuser.com/showthread.php?t=5

The design of the body is proprietary. No two cameras have same body. The most comfortable bodies belong to Nikon and Canon. I cannot imagine anybody making a more ergonomic camera body. The camera in the photo look cumbersome. I will not buy such a bulky camera.

The DSMC will be aimed at stills... You take video and pick your stills. I can tell you the pro photo market will go ape over it. I have already picked some of the best stills ever shot in my life from red frame grabs. That 1/24th of a second moment of perfection, the glint in the eyes, the change of emotion. I tell you Jim is spot on.... This is the market and the future. So workflow... Take footage into redcine , find your 4k + still and output to... redraw adobe in photoshop and do your post.
    Scarlet is a video camera.... They are two different beasts. But of course the complimentary factors are enormous...

Quote Originally Posted by supernovafilms View Post
    The DSMC will be aimed at stills... You take video and pick your stills. I can tell you the pro photo market will go ape over it. I have already picked some of the best stills ever shot in my life from red frame grabs. That 1/24th of a second moment of perfection, the glint in the eyes, the change of emotion. I tell you Jim is spot on.... This is the market and the future. So workflow... Take footage into redcine , find your 4k + still and output to... redraw adobe in photoshop and do your post.
    Scarlet is a video camera.... They are two different beasts. But of course the complimentary factors are enormous...
    This strikes me as a "photography by luck" way of shooting, to a fair degree. i really think there's something to be said for having the patience and skill to know just when the fraction of a second is right, when light and composition have come together, to take that picture. Capture x number minutes worth of continuous footage at x frame rate and your bound to pull at least one artistic frame out of it.

May the Force be With You, Jim!

9.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobSimon View Post
    The design of the body is proprietary. No two cameras have same body. The most comfortable bodies belong to Nikon and Canon. I cannot imagine anybody making a more ergonomic camera body. The camera in the photo look cumbersome. I will not buy such a bulky camera.
    hehe... Bob. You are too funny. You are comparing Scarlet (a motion camera that shoots 3K) to a DSLR that shoots stills. Two different animals. Why not compare Scarlet to a Varicam or HDCAM and the Canon to the Nikon or Sony? BTW, have you actually held a Scarlet?

No one has seen our DSMC. When we post it, you can compare it to whatever you want... even though nothing will compare in performance.

After reading all your posts I get that you don't like RED very much. That's OK. Why exactly are you here?

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by carlspackler View Post
    This strikes me as a "photography by luck" way of shooting, to a fair degree. i really think there's something to be said for having the patience and skill to know just when the fraction of a second is right, when light and composition have come together, to take that picture. Capture x number minutes worth of continuous footage at x frame rate and your bound to pull at least one artistic frame out of it.
    That somehow makes it more legitimate or more artistic?

I'm sure that "action/sports" photographers know exactly when to push the button when the athlete/vehicle/event is perfect. In fact, they all use 8x10 cameras and wait patiently, "Ansel Adams" style for that perfect moment and snap the picture.

This also includes capturing dynamic, dramatic human emotion that's as quick as a sport but more elusive and fleeting.

I shoot with a Canon 40D and hope its 6.5 frames per second at RAW will capture what I need. And I do wait for the great moment.

Ansel Adams was a world class photographer and undeniably one of the greats. But there are other legitimate styles of shooting and capturing moments and creating great "art".