Thread: The remote follow focus problem

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M Harvey View Post
    The cforce mini (and plus) take minimum 12v.
    If this could be solved and put on the Komodo without any change in battery setup, that would be awesome. Then the Arri WCU-4 would work. However, I'm not sure how the 12v can be made to work?

Is there a possible transformer that could be used and connected to the EXT port? I know the torque would be less, but maybe it would be enough for CN-Es? Not sure what their torque need is.

Or is there any motorized gear with internal battery that works with the Arri WCU-4?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

I'm not 100% sure about this, but according to Tilta's product page, their latest Focus Handle for Komodo have 2 power outs:

1x USB-C 8V (which is also used for R/S triggering on Komodo)
    1x barrel connector 12 V

Powered by a Sony F570 battery. Don't know if this battery can deliver enough Amps, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas B. View Post
    I'm not 100% sure about this, but according to Tilta's product page, their latest Focus Handle for Komodo have 2 power outs:

1x USB-C 8V (which is also used for R/S triggering on Komodo)
    1x barrel connector 12 V

Powered by a Sony F570 battery. Don't know if this battery can deliver enough Amps, though.
    Sounds promising, but worried it would add a lot of weight. Saw this picture in another thread:

Seems to have a 12v output on the adapter plate?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."

Looks like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas B. View Post
    Looks like this.
    But isn't it a Canon battery attached in the picture? Damn shame if there's no BP solution, then it would work. It would be even better if it was possible to have something like this, but that actually provide power to the camera at the same time. Like a small BP to BP plate that adds a 12v output like this. It would solve everything and still keep everything pretty tight and low weight.

I agree, there should be a proper BP solution. Unfortunately, Tilta's preferring the Sony batteries for some reason.
    The BP9 adapter plates I found (for monitors or cameras) had no socket, but a preinstalled cable. (which may be another no go)

BP9 cheap version (not sure if it works with 955/975 batteries, though)

TV Logic offers an adapter plate, too...but I'm not sure if you can take the adapter off the monitor mounting plate.

Ikan version 1

Ikan version 2

Maybe THIS is what you were looking for IF it only would have a 12V out!
    Ask SWIT to make an updated version with 12V out...

Here's a 5V version by SHAPE
    Last edited by Thomas B.; 02-11-2021 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    Yeah for small builds I’m using the battery in the handle to power the small nucleus FF.
    Which finger wheel handle is that Bob? One of the Tilta ones (for other cameras) that use an LPE6?

I've been hoping they'd make a 12v one or at least one with swappable mount, so it can be put on the left or right side of the camera. Alas, it's been over a year or waiting, so it's time to bite the bullet.

What about this one?
    https://www.coreswx.com/store.coreswx/product/nano-c98/

If it's not damaging the camera to use these (due to higher volt), it could easily be attached to the right slot on the camera and pretty much only power the FF system while letting you hot-swap the left battery.

But I'm not sure if it will work, doesn't look like the right BP type?

EDIT: yes, it's not the right BP version. Damn. Would be nice if CORE did a BP-950 version of this battery, specifically for Komodo. Would solve everything.

Phone fixture with on board power bank. Then you can pull focus with a tilta nano usb motor...

But if running with a WCU4 then you normally you want good SDI wireless, SDI onboard monitor, AC SDI wireless montor etc. To feed all that then, as I see it the best way to go is something like the Vaxis ATOM 600 KV with and small Vlocks that has dual Dtap.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Yeah, I'm thinking more for low budget stuff, maybe we get away with the onboard video transfer from Komodo. Compared to low-cost wireless video, it performs well. But then again, if adding a monitor with an onboard battery, that monitor might have wireless transmission (haven't checked around so don't know if these exist) and also might be able to power the motor.

But at the moment, the NANO-C98 is a really good solution if it could be made into a BP-950-type battery instead. Then you get all the power you need.

This thread isn't really about v-lock solutions because they all work. It's more about those who film with BP batteries and need a solution to wireless FFs. It's weird that we don't have any real good solutions for this. I also wonder if 7v is enough to drive some of the more high end systems? Right now we have 5v out of Komodo, but the batteries are 7v so couldn't it be possible to get the EXT to output 7v and have a solution for FF systems supporting 7v?