Thread: What's a Master Prime in Full-Frame world?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have a set that I used with my 8K Helium. I'm comfortable punching in (crop) even in the corners with these.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Jones View Post
    Ziess Otus? Not a full set just 28, 55, 85 .
    Other than the limited focal lengths it is hard to beat the Otus...there is also a 100mm.
    Monstro 8K VV 025118 Lena
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms
    Zeiss Otus
    Xeen CF
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

I used to own Masterprimes and now own Signatures (which I love and really wouldn’t swap for anything) but the closest Lenses to MP for FF (for me) are the Leitz FF cine Lenses.. I tested them for a few days earlier in the year and they do seem to be the sharpest cleanest lenses in the FF world... I would guess that they would out resolve MPs even at s35 and are def cleaner in terms of CA..

The Leitz FF lenses do look amazing, at approximately 10x the cost of the Vista Primes. As a "money no object" choice they certainly replace Master Primes in that regard.

I salute all the lens-makers who commit themselves to give us so many choices!
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Hi:

I would say Zeiss Supremes are a close match IMO

Cheers!

G.
    HD HOUSE - www.TheHdHouse.com
    info@thehdhouse.com 305-597-7359
    RED DSMC2 Hellium, Gemini & Monstro - ALEXA LF - ALEXA MINI - VARICAM 35 - SONY VENICE
    COOKE S4 & S7 - Arri UltraPrimes - Zeiss SUPREME & CZ Zooms
    COOKE Anamorphics (SF) 25mm, 32, 40, 50, 65 MACRO, 75, 100, 135 & 180mm
    Angenieux Optimo 28-340mm - Angenieux Optimo 19.5-94mm
    Angenieux Optimo STYLE 16-40mm - Angenieux Optimo STYLE 30-76mm
    Canon Cabrio XK 20-120mm - CANON 30-300mm
    3-Wall CYC Studio, Sound & Lighting

The Leitz Thalias are eye watering beautiful.

Leitz Thalia Sizzle Reel : https://vimeo.com/240037039

Longboard - Leitz Thalia Cine Lenses Longboard : https://youtu.be/YmBtiH-vAt0
    Musa Cantata | Leitz Thalia :https://vimeo.com/274852207

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Fazio View Post
    Hi:

Cheers!

G.
    aren't the supremes rehoused milvus? like the CPs rehoused cosinas?
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Fazio View Post
    Hi:

Cheers!

G.
    IMO No they are not.! .. Some focal lengths share 'look traits' but in most other ways they are not similar at all. I owned Supremes for a short period and they are a legitimate optical choice in a great sized packet but they are a very different animal..

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    The Leitz FF lenses do look amazing, at approximately 10x the cost of the Vista Primes. As a "money no object" choice they certainly replace Master Primes in that regard.

I salute all the lens-makers who commit themselves to give us so many choices!
    I tested the Leitz FF lenses as a favour to a friend and went into the test with loads of preconceptions (I basically feel the main Leica company makes jewellery... not that I blame them for their premium brand approach to marketing as it is a tough market)...

But they are not particularly over priced if you really dig into what they achieved with the lenses.. I would be very confident that Zeiss's markup in percentage terms is higher with the supreme series. I also think they are probably better value than their other German made lenses.

The volume is tiny and they are very impressive and aggressive attempt to make the 'best spherical lenses out there'....

I don't actually really want or need what they where aiming for optically but it is still very impressive what they have achieved.

The imaging circle is huge and good into the corners of any LF camera out there. They even cover Alexa 65 from about 35mm and up.

The resolve more than any lens I have seen.

They have masterprime + levels of contrast

Which gives them a super colourful clean look... they are also really quite warm but in a neutral way (I am deeply suspicious that designers favoured blueish lenses in the past as they look sharp... check out the famous Canon 200 f1.8 lens for something near unmatchably blue.. )

They have super low distortion.

They have basically zero axial CA... much better then master primes.

They are not just bigger SUMMILUX-Cs the are something else

ALSO and importantly you can shoot film with them! Masterpimes often looked best to me when sticking a image into a piece of film and I suspect they lenses would do this wonderfully.

They managed all this performance and huge imaging circle through the PL mount (and a conversation with somebody who was on that optical journey left me with the understanding that this was not trivial)

As lenses they would be an inappropriate tool for me especially my kind of projects.... and on a personal taste thing a bit too heavy and perhaps they render a tad sharp.... which is of course just what MP did but the sharp to resolution balance is a tiny but kinder than MPs

PS I obviously believe that there is no single lens for ever job and there is legitimate artistic reasons to pick any glass! I personally love Arri signature lenses and find them to be the perfect replacemet for our master primes but not because they are the most like MPs in the FF world

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    aren't the supremes rehoused milvus? like the CPs rehoused cosinas?
    Please cite your source for this "information".