Thread: DSMC2 Nikon Mount Iris rarely working properly

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 DSMC2 Nikon Mount Iris rarely working properly 

Hi there, wondering if anyone has any tips on how I can get my DSMC2 Nikon Mount to reliably mount.
    The Iris sometime works, and other times does not.
    Even with Duclos Modified Otus lenses, the Iris does not ready sometimes, nor can I control them manually (Iris does not respond in either instance).
    It doesn’t happen all the time, but most of the time; I need to mount, re-mount, re-boot, re-install the mount, etc....all while the action is happening and moments are missed.
    It is unpredictable.
    Focus I don’t really worry about , but not being able to adjust the Iris makes shooting a crapshoot.
    If anyone has any insight, I would greatly appreciate it.
    I usually stick to the approved lens list from Red.
    Thanks very much.
    JG
    Jason George, D.O.P
    http://www.jasongeorge.com

Its sadly a crapshoot. I'm pretty sure there is zero development on it either. It's a Canon world :(

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Jason,
    I share your pain.

I have my own experience with Nikon lenses (on the compatible list) that are worthless due to focus and/or iris and/or non-recognition issues. Engaging Image stabilization is the end of any possible functionality. I have tried all kinds of workarounds and have spoken many times with Red Tech Support. They know it's a problem but keep the "compatible" list even though it is, IMO, a fantasy list. I even volunteered to test and correct the list but they didn't take me up on my offer.

It is BULLSHIT of the first order and it makes me extremely wary of any RED claims that are not verified by the user community.

I have slowly, due to the cost, been buying PL lenses so that I can get shots without the pain the Nikons induce.

I have no idea how to replace my 600mm which I used for wildlife at 840 and 1200mm (with tele-extenders).

I doubt RED will EVER do anything about this issue.

Pardon my rant but it is a very sore issue for me.

same here, bought a brand new mount from RED in February last year and its unusable as the iris control doesn't work or only sporadically after many camera reboots, neither with my original Nikon 24-120mm nor any of my Sigma art primes.
    I have given up and booked it as a $600,- loss that's now gathering dust on the shelf. next to my original redmote.
    Im with Bob on the suspicion that there is no more firmware or upgrade development on this particular piece of gear.
    Dr. Dominik Münch D.O.C.A
    Filmmaker & Cinematographer
    Epic-W "Lucy"
    http://www.instagram.com/drdominikmuench

Yup it's incredibly unreliable, unless you have strictly manual focus/iris lenses
    Red Weapon Helium
    GL Optics Leica R
    Nikkor
    Looking forward to finally using my Hydrogen with whatever Komodo is...
    PresidentialFilmPhoto.com
    Cinematography & Fashion/Glamour Photography

As a consolation we offer Nikon locking mount with manual iris control. No stabilisation however or auto focus
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

I have a Nikon Ti mount that works fine on my Helium Weapon. I am not sure how this plays into any possible problems, but unlike Canon, Nikon F mounts have the motor that runs the iris inside the mount, not the lens. (maybe the focus too?). I have an Otus set and I left them in Nikon mount. On my camera...my thumbwheel on the DSMC2 side handle will run the iris electronically first time every time as long as I have the physical iris set at F16. The metadata I also get is always correct even when it is all manual Nikkor from the 70s or 80s. The metadata shows the correct f-stop as well as the focal length of the lens, which the mount is obviously generating based on the physical settings on the lens....I think??
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms
    Zeiss Otus
    Xeen CF
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

Jacek,
    I visited your website and watched the video pertaining to Nikon operation.
    1) With respect to compatibility - You cite RED Scarlet, Epic, Weapon. Please confirm that this includes a 2019 Monstro.
    2) When controlling iris, there is the obvious option to move the red pointer to select iris. I believe you said in one video that the iris can also be controlled using the touchscreen. Please confirm.
    3) Is there any way to control focus other than the follow focus wheel?

Thanks, Mark

Thanks very much for all of the replies.
    Jacek, I will look at your site.
    Scot, I have had periods where the system has worked with various Nikon lenses however, I have had many instances where the system does not work at all when it comes to iris control.
    I can't say what the issue might be; could it be with my lenses? Could it be the mount? Camera?
    Whatever the case, I am hoping to find some way to eliminate the possibility of things malfunctioning regularly.
    I believe there is a Nikon Mount on the market that is fully manual (no pins), so I will look at this as well, and see if there is a way to control the Iris on lenses that do not have a physical aperture ring.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Jason George, D.O.P
    http://www.jasongeorge.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A. Jaeger View Post
    Jacek,
    I visited your website and watched the video pertaining to Nikon operation.
    1) With respect to compatibility - You cite RED Scarlet, Epic, Weapon. Please confirm that this includes a 2019 Monstro.
    2) When controlling iris, there is the obvious option to move the red pointer to select iris. I believe you said in one video that the iris can also be controlled using the touchscreen. Please confirm.
    3) Is there any way to control focus other than the follow focus wheel?

Thanks, Mark
    Hi Mark,
    Our mount is strictly mechanical. It uses the existing linkage in AI, AIS, AF, AF/S lenses to control the iris with the geared ring and scale built into the mount itself. This way the iris is automatically "declicked" as well. No specific focus control or stabilization since there are no electric contacts..
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment