Thread: Komodo with Canon RF 800mm

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Komodo with Canon RF 800mm 

Got the Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM to try out on the Komodo. Pretty insanely compact for an 800mm and it collapses down further when not in use. Single and Continuous AF works on the latest Komodo firmware. It's not as nice as the AF on my Canon R6 but its still up and working. At 800mm it has much less perspective and depth to deal with so that might help it. I'm sure Red will continue to refine their AF implementation and will only get better. You definitely get some fluttering at the moment with Continous AF. I imagine myself mainly using Single AF with 800mm and it seems to work well there.

The weight of this lens is absolutely INSANE for 800mm only 2.77lbs. Totally fine on the RF mount with no supports. It barely weighs more than my Sigma 24-70mm 2.8.

It is fixed aperture at f/11 so plan on a nice matte box or screw on NDs. Works great with my BT Misfit and Tokina screw on filters.
    DSMC2 Gemini
    Komodo ST

Thanks for posting that. I have one of those Canon rf 800mm f/11 lenses sitting here waiting for a Komodo to put it on and go out doing some birdography with :)
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

Footage? I plan to get a Komodo and also one of the Canon 800mm f11 lenses this year.

I'd also be interested in seeing some footage. Does the stabilisation work as well on the Komodo as it does on a Canon body?

Haven't had a good chance to get out and shoot anything at the moment with the lockdowns. Stabilization seems to work well as compared to my Canon R6. I know with the R6 it also works in conjunction with the sensor stabilization but lens only stabilization seems pretty solid so far. Will post up once I have something interesting to share from it.

I'm sure for the price point it's not the sharpest clearest long lens in the world but on first glance I am definitely a fan for the price.
    DSMC2 Gemini
    Komodo ST

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    800mm camera inside a window with covered blinders... either a police stakeout or something creepier
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397