Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED IN EUROPE? Bye bye UK... and now?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I thought Red effectively added import duty to the price anyway as it all comes fron the USA/Mexico.

What will change is the b2b EU vat rate which was effectively zero rated between EU vat registered business.

So you will just claim it back in your own country.
    www.besq.co.uk
    UK BASED Hire & Production

EPIC-X #7619, EPIC-X #4047, Red Pro Primes, Miller Arrow 55 ... too much kit to list!

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Braithwaite View Post
    I thought Red effectively added import duty to the price anyway as it all comes fron the USA/Mexico.

What will change is the b2b EU vat rate which was effectively zero rated between EU vat registered business.
    Not really, anything added will not be deductible, it's not how things work. If you import something within EU, any added VAT shall be removed from the price and then you add your own nation's VAT rates post-purchase. With UK out of EU, import VAT and any added VAT or costs in UK will just stay in the price and then we have to add our nation's VAT on top of that.

Just open a EU office. It's also not appropriate to call Red UK Red Europe anymore since UK simply isn't part of EU. So EU customers should have a proper EU office to deal with in my opinion.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Not really, anything added will not be deductible, it's not how things work. If you import something within EU, any added VAT shall be removed from the price and then you add your own nation's VAT rates post-purchase. With UK out of EU, import VAT and any added VAT or costs in UK will just stay in the price and then we have to add our nation's VAT on top of that.

Just open a EU office. It's also not appropriate to call Red UK Red Europe anymore since UK simply isn't part of EU. So EU customers should have a proper EU office to deal with in my opinion.
    I completely disagree. Europe is a continent and EU is the ‘European Union’- a political and economic union of member states/countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    I completely disagree. Europe is a continent and EU is the ‘European Union’- a political and economic union of member states/countries.
    Red EU should be an office based for customers within EU. With Red UK, it would be like having Red US be Red California and add difficulties ordering from other states. Red EU should be focused on the largest part of Europe, the union. Having a EU office in UK after Brexit makes little sense. Having a Red UK office in itself is not the problem, just bring back Red Berlin or something for EU customers. Red UK is not part of EU and will add difficulties for EU customers based in the European Union. That's my point, everything else is semantics about what is the Union and what is Europe.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."

Yes, unfortunately Christoffer is correct and things are definitely not going to be 'more or less the same' as John suggests - and we would all hope for.

Despite the tariff-free deal, customs duties will apply to all goods ordered from the UK that do not originate from Britain. This very much applies to RED.

Furthermore, continental customers must both complete and pay a customs declaration for goods imported from the UK - a procedure generally performed by transporters, for which consumers will also face a charge - and then finally pay national VAT.

1 x New RED EUROPE please!

You are right! It makes no sense to think that in the VAT UK with the EU, no tariffs, no customs, etc. What we need in Europe is a real European RED headquarters!

+1 real European RED HQ !!! Please!
    RED W Woven CF HELIUM® 8K S35, RED Komodo® 6K S35.
    Camera, Mōvi, Drone, Film service Ibiza, Film Crew in Ibiza.
    TupraStudio, your creative space.
    http://www.tupra.es
    @tuprastudio

Not sur what to do with repairs but for purchases try TRM in France. They did my Scarlet W for Gemini upgrade two years ago and are official retailers for Red. Trm.fr

Quote Originally Posted by William Long View Post
    Customs duties will apply to all goods ordered from the UK that do not originate from Britain. This very much applies to RED.

Furthermore, continental customers must both complete and pay a customs declaration for goods imported from the UK - a procedure generally performed by transporters, for which consumers will also face a charge - and then finally pay national VAT.

1 x New RED EUROPE please!
    When Red products arrive in the EU you'll pay duty - it happened when it came into the UK, and it will happen in Germany, France etc. Having an EU office won't save you any money, and if you're subject to local VAT that would apply whichever route the goods came. Just the same, you could purchase direct from RED in the USA, handle all the duties etc. yourself - it'd be a wash.
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Monstro 8K VV | Gemini 5K | Helium Monochrome 8K
    Check out our Revolva ND solution, OLPFs and other products

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Konrad View Post
    Not sur what to do with repairs but for purchases try TRM in France. They did my Scarlet W for Gemini upgrade two years ago and are official retailers for Red. Trm.fr
    I know TRM. They send the Red's for repair to Germany (Teltec is an official repair center).

Quote Originally Posted by John Marchant View Post
    When Red products arrive in the EU you'll pay duty - it happened when it came into the UK, and it will happen in Germany, France etc. Having an EU office won't save you any money, and if you're subject to local VAT that would apply whichever route the goods came. Just the same, you could purchase direct from RED in the USA, handle all the duties etc. yourself - it'd be a wash.
    No, buying from US means US added VAT on the price. You can see it if you try to order from red store through US instead of EU. This was the whole problem for many, including me, when ordering the Komodo. The price handling at checkout applied US taxes which Sweden won't remove before adding the 25% VAT we pay on products. So by shipping equipment within a company to a registered position in a EU country, it technically can bypass import duties and ship from within EU and therefore have no import duty for the end delivery. Why even have EU as a separate store option on the Red store if the order is not technically handled within EU? It's there for the reason of keeping the purchase within EU. It's not my gear before it has left Red and handled through the EU office it is defined as a EU purchase.

It's the same as buying an iPhone. If the company is registered within Sweden and I buy an Apple iPhone from the Swedish Apple website. I'm not paying import duties the same way as if I import something myself, even though the iPhone itself gets shipped from China, through US, to EU, to Sweden. There will always be more added on top of purchases through international orders than from within EU members. And just the hassle that can happen if the gear needs to be shipped back and forth internationally due to warranty issues or something.

Red HQ within EU is just the logical conclusion to Brexit. I don't see any other way.