Thread: Is there anybody still buying Red Epic X?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Is there anybody still buying Red Epic X? 
    Is there still a market for the trusty Epic X? I mean now with the komodo. Is there any value left in selling it? Im the only owner and the only one that have ever used it. It's treated like a newborn, living a cushy life, never used in bad weather conditions. 642 Hours of operation. I still see these cameras at the market space. But Its hard to tell what they actually selling for. So if anybody have sold something similar in the last six month and want to shoot me pm of what you got. I would be very glad. Im not interested to "squeeze out money from it". It should be a good deal both ways.

I guess you would not do a owner transition at red.com.

- RED Epic Mysterium-X 5K Cinema Camera (with original RED cube box)
    - RED Mini Mag Side Module
    - 2X RED Bricks Batteries
    - RED Side Handle (DSMC 1)
    - 1X Lemo monitor cables
    - Wooden camera V-Lock backplate
    - RED Sliding Quick Release Top Handle w/ Rubberized Grip.
    - RED Aluminium Canon EF mount
    - RED DSMC AC Power Adapter
    -Wooden camera A-Box

No media or mini mag reader included since Im still using it.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Call me crazy but there are still some things I remember doing with my DSMC1 MX that even the epic dragon could not do with frame rates.

Like - you can do 5K 120fps right ?

Im kind of a simp for an MX chip DSMC1 in a weird way right now...

I would absolutely grab one at the right price I feel like. Maybe I gotta sell this nostalgia Red1MX I have on the shelf at home here and go DSMC1 MX...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kanes View Post
    I remember doing with my DSMC1 MX that even the epic dragon could not do with frame rates.

Like - you can do 5K 120fps right ?
    Everything can do 5K WS 120 fps. We didn't lose frame rates unless it was one of the entry level cams that didn't have the horses for it. One of the major reasons I upgraded up from Scarlet-X to Epic-X back in the day.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I think I could do 5KFF (aka open gate) at 120 on MX in the early days.

In DSMC1 dragon (and I think even dsmc2 dragon I think I was not able to do 120 at FF aka open gate)

I know it sounds weird, but I specifically remember the small disappointment in losing the top end frame rate upgrading my DSMC1 from MX to dragon going to down to 96fps at FF and 16:9 modes. Not a huge loss, but - one key advantage anyway of having a dsmc1 over a Komodo in our contemporary era is larger field of view / sensor usage at higher frame rates. Depends on your needs though! The modernity of Komodo is quite capable and impressive and a lot of features like direct WiFi control or cellular connection via USB-C is really cool and forward thinking.

I’m about 95% certain I’m right on this one - because I’m not talking WS, as that format only matters if one is delivering 2.40:1 .

Had to look it up... came back. Posted the data for you:
    Epic X MX - 120fps 5K open gate.
    https://support.red.com/hc/en-us/art...TERIUM-X-Specs

Epic X Dragon : more resolution (which is nice! Arguably better color which is nice - lower frame rates at full sensor readout - and I was dead wrong on one key point - it’s only 75fps at open gate)
    https://support.red.com/hc/en-us/art...C-DRAGON-Specs
    Last edited by Dan Kanes; 12-29-2020 at 08:54 AM.

Watching RED Epics and Dragons on Ebay, it seems people are desperately trying to get value out of them, but they aren't moving. With Komodo, I can only see significant downward price pressure on these DSMC1 cameras. I think you would be lucky to $5,000 for an Epic and $7,000 for a Dragon and maybe a little more than half that towards the end of next year depending on hours and accessories. A brand new RED Dragon DSMC got no bids at $7,000 (brain only).

Check out the latest auction results to get a ballpark for Dragons. http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...uction-Results

It is not just Komodo that has radically pushed down prices! But absolutely everyone outside of RED as well has forced the value of DSMC1 waaaay down.
    (Blackmagic / Z Cam / Kinefinity / Sony / Panasonic / Canon / etc)
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

I own an Epic Dragon and still love shooting with it. I think that's where the value is.
    Epic Dragon #4048

I'd keep it as a 2nd camera Joel.

Quote Originally Posted by William Long View Post
    I'd keep it as a 2nd camera Joel.
    That has been my original thought, but its so bulky to fit two red cameras in volvo=). So I did get the bmp4k camera when it came out. It was ok, size but I still like the images of the mx sensor way better. So the bmp4k is out for sale.

So if you would sell an epic x today, would you bother switching the owner change at red? Since they are eol now, I see there is no point.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069