Thread: Fluid Head Recommendation

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Fluid Head Recommendation 
    Hi Guys,

I've searched and read through bunch of threads here on fluid heads and come down to Cartoni and Miller as being best bang for your buck when it comes to fluid heads. Wondering if anybody can provide some feedback on Cartoni Focus HD and 12 heads? Due to price leaning towards buying Focus HD or 12 right now but open to suggestions for heads under $2000. Need at least 26lb payload rating that Focus 12 has.

Thanks All.
    Last edited by Gursimran Dhillon; 12-28-2020 at 02:58 PM.

For $2K, I’d be hitting eBay and getting a Vinten Vision 100. And it’ll probably come with a set of stix.

Vinten's are very smooth heads. They leak after like 30 years, but I think pretty much all heads do. Most "cinema" people don't really like them as much just because they think they're "broadcast" heads, but they're very good.
    Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Justin McAleece
    Sigma Pro Primes and Video Production
    Justin at BLAREMedia dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Justin McAleece View Post
    Vinten's are very smooth heads. They leak after like 30 years, but I think pretty much all heads do. Most "cinema" people don't really like them as much just because they think they're "broadcast" heads, but they're very good.
    Yep. There is a reason that pretty much every single camera shooting live, broadcast sports, from the "handhelds" up to the bodies with 100x+ box lenses are sitting on Vinten heads. Plus most of your studio set-ups, as well.

The only heads I would spend my own money on other than Vinten are O'connor.

I recently got a Vinten Vision 10 fluid head and I can say it is built like a tank and works as if it was brand new out the box...

I would suggest getting on eBay too and buying Vinten...amamzing products!

Find a used Miller Arrow 55. You can get them used with Sprinter II carbon sticks for around $2k. Nothing better in that price range IMO. I prefer them to O’Connor 1030
    ------------
    DP/Colorist
    www.joelvoelker.com
    Seattle, WA