Thread: How we built a motion control rig and did a timelapse of a huge LEGO build

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 How we built a motion control rig and did a timelapse of a huge LEGO build 
    Hey, I put together a BTS vignette of the rig we built for our movie Brick MADNESS. A movie site picked it up which is super cool.

https://thedrillmag.com/lego-build-filmmaker-stuff/

Basically, Brick MADNESS is a feature that I've been working on since 2009. I always wanted a really impressive LEGO creation for the title of the movie - it's about a National Brick Competition - but I didn't know how to do it. We shot this a few years back, and so that it made it more difficult, but I don't know that I would do it entirely different today. Basically, we had to build a revolving rig, attach a horizontal and vertical slider, and put a Canon 5Dmk3 on there with a bunch of Kessler motors and go to work. It took a long time to fabricate the whole thing, work within the confines of the tech itself (they weren't very accurate) and to iron out all the details. That doesn't even include figuring out how to build the letters out of LEGO and lighting the whole thing which took a lot more sources than I had imagined. The video pretty much tells you what you need to know, but I'd be happy to answer any additional questions.
    Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Justin McAleece
    Sigma Pro Primes and Video Production
    Justin at BLAREMedia dot net

Good job, brother.

I can remember shooting a handful of super short Lego animations in the 80's when I was a kid with a consumer camcorder that had stop-motion recording capability. I don't think it had single-frame capability(maybe 1 sec intervals), but it was still pretty cool for the time considering it was a consumer VHS camcorder.

What I did back then was in no way close to what y'all did, but I can really appreciate the hard work, time and effort that went into y'all's. Oh yeah, and you shot a movie, too.

Aw man, yeah... those were the good old days. We used to edit with 2 VCR's. You could only do it a couple of times and then you had to move on. More capabilities brings more responsibilities. Thanks though! The movie is on Amazon now! http://bit.ly/amzn-prm-brickmadness
    Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Justin McAleece
    Sigma Pro Primes and Video Production
    Justin at BLAREMedia dot net