Thread: Magnification for Anamorphics

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Magnification for Anamorphics 
    I'm considering buying a single mid range anamophic lens (something between 50 and 85 at 2x squeeze) and was wondering if there's any form of lens extender or magnification that would allow me to avoid having to up and buy another longer anamoprhic? I'll obviously buy diopters with it, but I've never seen diopters that magnify as well.

Are there any screw on magnification filters that you guys know of? Or even potentially one that would screw on at the back of the PF mount lens like there are on EF mount lenses?

Thanks!!!

Anyone have any ideas?

Hi Tim!

Teleconverters will need to go on the rear end of the anamorphic lens. The 75mm Kowa Prominar has a doupler that attaches on the back.

Anamorphic lenses are tricky, though. You can't just throw any teleconverter on the back. Some anamorphic lenses use variable diopters which means you can't mess with the focal flange distance (ie throwing a teleconverter on the back).

I know Atlas lenses have a rear adapter that makes them suitable for full frame. This adapter is essentially a teleconverter.

If you're willing to experiment, here is a teleconverter for PL lenses: https://www.lensadaptor.com/mtf-pl-2x-extender

We use the Century PL 2x Extender and the IB/E Optics 1.6x S35-FF Expanders are Kowa anamorphics (and some others) with good results. Although you will lose some light and sharpness by zooming into the glass.
    Red Gemini / Arri Alexa Mini & Mini LF Packages.
    Zeiss Mark II Super Speeds -- Canon TLS K-35s -- Kowa Anamorphics -- Kowa Prominar Sphericals -- Lomo Square Front Anamorphics -- Cineovision Anamorphics -- Cooke TLS S2/3 Speed Panchros -- Lomo Standard Primes -- Schneider 1950s Xenon -- B&L Super Baltars -- Zeiss Ultrascope Anamorphics -- Richard Gale Optics Clavius -- Atlas Orion Anamorphics -- Xelmus Apollo Anamorphics
    Element-camera.com - Rentals in San Francisco

Not to be Salesy about it, but our LF extender works amazing with our lenses because the aberration the LF Extender generates balances the design intended 5th order spherical aberration our lenses have when wide open at a T2.

You do lose 1 and 1/3 stop light - but in today’s age when we often have to use ND indoors because of a camera’s native sensitivity being high, we find this to be a minor thing - and an added convenience for some.

Here’s a link with some sample clips linked off it, and we are always happy to answer any questions which you may have.

More informative video link:

https://atlaslensco.com/atlas-notes/...-alexa-lf-mini

We gotta do a Monstro one...
    Last edited by Dan Kanes; 01-06-2021 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kanes View Post
    Not to be Salesy about it, but our LF extender works amazing with our lenses because the aberration the LF Extender generates balances the design intended 5th order spherical aberration our lenses have when wide open at a T2.

You do lose 1 and 1/3 stop light - but in today’s age when we often have to use ND indoors because of a camera’s native sensitivity being high, we find this to be a minor thing - and an added convenience for some.

Here’s a link with some sample clips linked off it, and we are always happy to answer any questions which you may have.

More informative video link:

https://atlaslensco.com/atlas-notes/...-alexa-lf-mini

We gotta do a Monstro one...
    Dan did you ever experiment with Iscorama and Kinetals for a S16 anamorphic? I can't afford the Hawks... was curious about 17.5, 25, 37.5 with a pre-36 to get a 2.35:1 image.
    Last edited by Matt W.; 01-06-2021 at 05:27 PM.