Thread: Which SDI cable for Komodo?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGuigan View Post
    Thank you so much, just checked and there is one in the box.

Paul
    Get a couple more! Even the good ones eventually fail. And they usually fail just as you're about to roll on something important deep in a forest somewhere. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by M Harvey View Post
    Get a couple more! Even the good ones eventually fail. And they usually fail just as you're about to roll on something important deep in a forest somewhere. :-)
    Ha, it would be just our luck. Duly noted and ordered.

Can we assume it’s safe to run a standard HD SDI cable out of Komodo to a monitor which only supports 1920x1080? or should a 12G cable be used in all cases for the monitor feed regardless of the monitors maximum resolution? I have both 12G and HD SDI cables, so really just asking if there is rule here, or if this can go either way..thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by S_James View Post
    Can we assume it’s safe to run a standard HD SDI cable out of Komodo to a monitor which only supports 1920x1080? or should a 12G cable be used in all cases for the monitor feed regardless of the monitors maximum resolution? I have both 12G and HD SDI cables, so really just asking if there is rule here, or if this can go either way..thanks!
    I second this question and add one more:

is there an easy way to tell what flavor of SDI a cable you already own is? Should one expect to see a certain marking on the cable, or a particular gauge wire?
    Anglo-American DP, shooting docs and branded content in LA.

tomdowler.com
    longhaulfilms.com
    lettinggoofadele.com
    restartingthemotorcity.com

Quote Originally Posted by S_James

Komodo's Operation Guide clearly states:

NOTE: Always use 12G-SDI BNC cables when connecting the camera’s SDI port, regardless of the resolution.

I'm pretty sure you could break something if you set the wrong (higher) resolution and used an HD-SDI cable.

Opening this thread again. Just bought The best 12g sdi cables possible and they are really great, but not for the gimball (Belden Cables NEutrik conectors), the cables are not as flexible as I am used to use on every single camera (arri, different reds, Sony etc.). Dou you guys have solution for this? For example if I run the thing on Ronin, the cable is pushing the balance of the whole thing because the monitor is mounted on the RS 2 leg. Would be great to solve this once forever, as the cable never last so long and for such a short distance, regular 3g sdi cable MUST be more thank ok. Any master here to explain?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas B. View Post
    Komodo's Operation Guide clearly states:

NOTE: Always use 12G-SDI BNC cables when connecting the camera’s SDI port, regardless of the resolution.

I'm pretty sure you could break something if you set the wrong (higher) resolution and used an HD-SDI cable.
    Pretty sure you can’t... Did a multi-cam shoot with a friend last week and two of the cams were their Gemini and Komodo. It was just a “normal” SDI cable on the Komodo and we were shooting 4K and 6K. Maybe we just got lucky that it worked, but still pretty sure you’re not going to damage anything. I think the worst that would happen is that it just wouldn’t work.