Thread: DSMC3

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lubensky View Post
    Honestly, a lot of things here are subjective. While, I kind of agree with shorter flange distance is a must nowadays, I still prefer the old mount system - where you can swap a mount instead of going with adapters. Adapters are non-reliable, often imperfect optically and loose with any given build quality.
    Why not just use the same type of adapter screws as the Canon speedbooster? If Red could make their own RF adapter for EF, PL etc. with such screws, it should stick to the camera just as good as any native mount we screwed on the old DSMC2s.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Side note.

Does anyone know if its possible to make an adapter going from RF mount to DSMC mount? In other words is the DSMC mounts mounted further away from the sensor than RF flange distance? If so it would be nice to make a adapter that is seated firmly onto the camera like the revolva chinstrap which then we could screw old red mounts onto. I got my Leica and FD red mounts would be nice to be able to use them on Komodo and even for those having red PL mounts laying around. Always nice to recycle. But possibly the flange is to long on RF.

PL is 52mm RF is 20 so that gives us 32mm to play with, seams like that is more than what's needed to have the old red mounts infront of the RF mount.... no?

Edit: just mesured it. Yes possible to make a RF to DSMC mount adapter.... Why is that not done allready?
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    I think the biggest change will be functionality. We will see internal focus controls, internal wireless video (more advanced than Komodo), better cooling, autofocus etc.
    I'd tend to agree with Christoffer on this. Image quality can always improve in certain ways (global shutter perhaps being one of them), but we're in a pretty incredible place now with image quality even in sub-$10k cameras. So a significant part of the way forward would seem to be in the increased integration of cameras with other technologies.

I'd expect features that lean on enhanced wireless and computing. Komodo does point the way here. The Red Control app is great. And while I wouldn't rely on the ad-hoc mode wifi for image capture, I was amazed at how easy it was to stream from the body to my phone/tablet/laptop. So maybe there's even more of a role for mobile tech in the future. New autofocus technologies (both internal and in systems like the Light Ranger 2 and the new Teradek) are impressive, motion control systems are becoming cheaper and less complicated (Komodo size/weight/form factor are great for this), and I can imagine Red might be thinking about how these technologies manifest on set.

Along these lines, are there more things Red could do to enhance VFX and virtual production workflows? Do new AF capabilities also mean more data to supply to VFX-- even with manual focus lenses that don't offer data ports? (I realize that rangefinder systems probably could, but contrast detect systems with a "dumb" manual lens currently don't.) I don't do a lot of VFX heavy work, but I'm seeing it more even on low-budget stuff. And I don't think aspects of "live" VFX technologies (The Mandalorian, Lion King, etc.) are too far off for lower budget stuff. I'm a novice here, but have to imagine that cameras can be "smarter" in how they respond to these new image ecosystems.

Is part of DSMC3 about software from Red that collapses production and post? Redcine-X + Red Control in one? Built-in wireless connections robust enough to rely on for image capture and stream?
    Last edited by M Harvey; 11-17-2020 at 01:54 PM.

Let me add CFexpress. my angel bird CF show approx 500 MB/s my angel bird CFexpress rate 1500 MB/s write. 1700 read.
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Don't think it will. There's not much more you can do. Maybe push more stops, make it all global shuttered, higher framerates, less noise. I mean, there's a limit to what can be improved with the image.
    I think the biggest change will be functionality. We will see internal focus controls, internal wireless video (more advanced than Komodo), better cooling, autofocus etc.

It's like... what else do you need? Personally, I feel Komodo is the best camera they've done ever. So a Komodo-like body with a full-frame sensor at 8K pulling 100 fps and being virtually noiseless at reasonable ISOs while having in-camera tracking for virtual cameras in post and stabilization would be the sweet spot that really can't be improved much further past what you actually need.

We're hitting diminishing returns for cameras right now. People want "more more more", but what is actually needed? Seems like people scream for more without knowing. It's like... if I can't create good stuff with my Komodo, what else do I need? I fail to see any purpose of DSMC3 if it's not all about bringing advanced functionality and reducing the bulkiness of the DSMC2 lineup.
    Komodo is a fantastic camera, but the best sensor they made is the Monstro, No question about it. That being said, I am sure RED has something big up their slaves, Komodos are selling like Hot cakes, but they need some high priced cameras for bigger profit margins, and to justify those prices, the technology will need to be a big leap. I am in love with my Monstro, and it will take a lot for me to want to upgrade it for sure.
    Director/DP at GetGrimm
    New York

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hastings View Post
    Add in IBIS, full featured body with NDs and at least 1 or 2 XLR or minXLR
    1x TA5 is the way to go. With AES and 48V input
    Please give us no frame latency on HDSDI out ;-) and instant 1x1 manification while recording.

PS: and no fan...

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Side note.

Does anyone know if its possible to make an adapter going from RF mount to DSMC mount? In other words is the DSMC mounts mounted further away from the sensor than RF flange distance? If so it would be nice to make a adapter that is seated firmly onto the camera like the revolva chinstrap which then we could screw old red mounts onto. I got my Leica and FD red mounts would be nice to be able to use them on Komodo and even for those having red PL mounts laying around. Always nice to recycle. But possibly the flange is to long on RF.

PL is 52mm RF is 20 so that gives us 32mm to play with, seams like that is more than what's needed to have the old red mounts infront of the RF mount.... no?

Edit: just mesured it. Yes possible to make a RF to DSMC mount adapter.... Why is that not done allready?
    Are you talking about a mount that would be round from the RF mount to a big square flange that would hold the old DSMC mounts?

Seems like it would be pretty clunky and fairly fussy to manufacturer in what would seem to be pretty low volume. (but I have a DSMC PL mount to sell if it would).

Also not sure how it would be any better to go from the RF mount to the RED mounts vs the RF to Canon ef or PL that are already available.
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com