Thread: Komodo - Small HD Focus Pro - Issues and thoughts

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Komodo - Small HD Focus Pro - Issues and thoughts 
    I picked up a Focus Pro Komodo monitor today.
    Impressions so far, less than impressed. Not so much as a monitor, but as far as usability goes.
    So far I have not been able to get the Small HD to communicate with the Komodo at all. Small HD powered by battery, Single cable provided by Small HD, plugged into USB and the other end plugged into EXT on Komodo. (This brings up concerns which I will talk about in a minute)
    I have registered the SamllHD with the Komodo Control License (very convoluted way of going about this IMO)
    When I go to the page "Connect to a RED KOMODO camera", and press connect, it tells me the connection failed, and to check the cable. Currently SmallHD is closed and there is zero info in the manual about this process.
    Is there something I need to change on the Komodo settings?

Concerns.
    By plugging in this monitor, it uses the same port as the breakout box for Genlock,GPI and timecode. Am I to understand, if I have camera control through the monitor that I can no longer jam timecode? That seems like an odd option to have?

Am I missing something here? This seems like a very convoluted system for having camera control on a monitor (Don't get me started on the fact that the SmallHD monitor has no SDI output, so basically, plugging this monitor in, means I get no timecode and no secondary SDI out.
    A little frustrating.

Yes I know...Komodo = Crash cam, blah blah etc, but there is some basic functionality that seems to be missing (or maybe I'm just not doing it right, very possible). Even Crash cams should be able to receive timecode.
    Director of Photography/VFX -Scherperel Cine LLC
    http://www.stefandp.com.com

You need a breakout box from the EXT port. Then you need a different cable that’s actually the older DSMC2 camera control cable going from the breakout box to the monitor. This allows you to have timecode at the same time.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

So I have the breakout box.
    What you are saying then, is I will need the red DSMC cable to control the camera with the (Control Port) on the breakout box. Will that still work with the Komodo Licensed Small HD monitor?
    I appreciate the quick feedback Bob, thank you!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kej...ew?usp=sharing

Hey Stefan! That is exactly correct I am going through the same issue @ the moment but have been fortunate enough to be in contact with SmallHD support. They had me ship my monitor to them for analysis.

I am not sure which breakout box you have, however I do know the Wooden Camera B Box has the CTRL (4pin LEMO) which would require you to have the DSMC2 Cable for Red Control. And Yes that will work with your current license (according to SmallHd).

Thanks Toma
    I'll have to give them a call tomorrow. Would suck if I need to send the brand new monitor in, but as there aren't a lot of other options for monitor control with the Komodo at this point, I guess that may be what it will come down to. Sounds like their QC might not be up to par on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Scherperel View Post
    Thanks Toma
    I'll have to give them a call tomorrow. Would suck if I need to send the brand new monitor in, but as there aren't a lot of other options for monitor control with the Komodo at this point, I guess that may be what it will come down to. Sounds like their QC might not be up to par on this.
    I have about eight smallHD monitors, including four from the Focus line and the last one I bought had to be returned, because if was defective right out of the box and had read from some others that this particular model was very hit or miss, leaning more to the miss side.

And to be fair, none of the Focus line has video loop-thru/loop out.

Hopefully you get everything straightened out.

So I guess, the questions becomes, are there any other monitors on the market right now that do offer camera control through the monitor?
    I mean, if I have to attach a phone to the camera, I guess that's an option, but not really something I like to show up on set with.

Just to be clear, the Komodo has been a great camera, and I'm enjoying every minute of shooting with it. It's a great B cam option, and easy to pull out in a pinch. I don't think I'm looking to ask too much from it. Reliable camera control (not wireless phone) and timecode are my two biggest wishes for this camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Toma Milano View Post
    Hey Stefan! That is exactly correct I am going through the same issue @ the moment but have been fortunate enough to be in contact with SmallHD support. They had me ship my monitor to them for analysis.

I am not sure which breakout box you have, however I do know the Wooden Camera B Box has the CTRL (4pin LEMO) which would require you to have the DSMC2 Cable for Red Control. And Yes that will work with your current license (according to SmallHd).
    Hi Toma - also have a MFT Horseshoe top plate on order and a SmallHD FocusPro OLED. The cable we need to connect them is 4-pin (CTRL on top plate) to 5-pin (USB on SmallHD). This is the only place I've been able to find these cables: https://www.modernfilmtools.com/shop...hd-red-control - but MFT seem to be out of stock and not answering messages.
    Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    --
    Andrew Huebscher
    IATSE 600 DP
    Los Angeles

So just got off a call from a Small HD Rep. Once I told him the problem that I was experiencing, he immediately asked me for my email, and set me a pre prepared list of things to try in order to get this resolved, with the final step on the list being an RMA.
    So sounds like this is not an isolated incident, as Toma confirmed as well.

@Andrew - the 4 to 5 Pin from MFT is also the same cable used on DSMC2 to give access to Camera Control sold by SmallHD but it looks like its only a package deal with Camera Control. I actually happen to have that cable for sale on the Marketplace if you're interested, B&H / Adorama may have it for also..

Stefan, did you get that email about the problems from SmallHd?