Thread: KOMODO Link Adapter, any reviews/use?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Strange that it needs a sim. And also the studdering. Must be unfinnished code no?
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Strange that it needs a sim. And also the studdering. Must be unfinnished code no?
    Yes i would love to know why some people have super smooth playback and some don’t. I being one of the latter. Tried everything to get the ad-hoc to work but only infrastructure is stutter free. And I was about to grab the link only to see that there is still some stutter problems even with that? Man this is my fav part about komodo... would love to get this issue solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Sim thing, it's an IOS security thing as far as I can discern, might need an update to allow for it. Has something to do with connection. Might be something RED can address, but seems to be OS related. Similar to some phones needing Airplane mode or not.

Studering not really sure what the culprit is. All the devices I've tested cabled connection with are very smooth and low lag. I know older phones, like much older ones aren't ideal. You can tweak the stream quality internally on Komodo, that might be worth tinkering with.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

You can not turn on USB tethering on a Red Hydrogen phone without a SIM card inside. It hits you with a prompt that says “Enable the cellular data before turning on hotpot” and that cannot be done without a SIM card. Whether or not that SIM needs a mobile plan, I have no idea but I’ve tried to get this adaptor working all day just as he did in the video and it does not let me.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Studering not really sure what the culprit is. All the devices I've tested cabled connection with are very smooth and low lag. I know older phones, like much older ones aren't ideal. You can tweak the stream quality internally on Komodo, that might be worth tinkering with.
    I'm highly sensitive to noticing stuttering in video. I know people who can watch something and never realize its played at the wrong framerate or has any problems with consistent framerates. So maybe everyone has this problem, but some notice it more than others.

But the stuttering I experience with it is far more noticeable than a question of debate. It's not about lag, the latency is consistent with the Link, it's enough for critical viewing. But the stuttering has to do with something else. It's not data bandwidth, since the stutters appear even on low streaming quality. So it has to be about some inconsistencies with the code, either in Komodo, how it works with the Link or the Control app itself handling the data through tethering. I also tried different project frame rates to see if it's smooth in 24 fps compared to 25 fps, but nope, no difference.

As of now, I think Red need to test the Link with both Android (hopefully Hydrogen since Link is popular among the Hydrogen discount owners) and iOS and tweak the code. It might even be that this stuttering appears on the WiFi feed, but since WiFi is generally inconsistent we "accept" it more on that than with the Link. So maybe the stuttering is a general problem with viewing through the control app.

I hope Red reads this thread and try to find the bugs causing this, because if we get consistent framerates with the control app, that's all that's needed to make the Link a viable option for critical viewing when shooting, without having to get a dedicated monitor.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Apologies slightly off topic, but can anyone confirm if the revolva can still be mounted with the link?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Choi View Post
    Apologies slightly off topic, but can anyone confirm if the revolva can still be mounted with the link?
    I doubt it will work just like that. I don't own the Revolva but I can confirm that the Link Adapter sticks out to the front for at least 8mm and this protrusion with the mounting holes or 1/4"-20 threads begins to protrude at just about 5mm above Komodo's top. Solution: Cut off the protrusion and use longer screws to mount the Link (and maybe a NATO rail?). Be careful when cutting off this thing (just take away as much as necessary) since the Link Adapter has thin walls (max. 1mm) and is a very compact build.

Does anyone know how they were able to activate USB tethering on the Hydrogen without a SIM card? I've tried repeatedly and my Hydrogen tells me to Enable Cellular Data first, which cannot be done without a SIM installed.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kratz View Post
    Does anyone know how they were able to activate USB tethering on the Hydrogen without a SIM card? I've tried repeatedly and my Hydrogen tells me to Enable Cellular Data first, which cannot be done without a SIM installed.
    I have no problems with my Hydrogen in this matter. I have no sim and I can tether no problem. Have you updated your Hydrogen?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    I have no problems with my Hydrogen in this matter. I have no sim and I can tether no problem. Have you updated your Hydrogen?
    Yes, it's totally up to date. What version of Android are you running?