Thread: KOMODO Link Adapter, any reviews/use?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 KOMODO Link Adapter, any reviews/use? 
    I'm debating whether to buy the Link Adaptor or not, it seems expensive for what it is, but being used to RED LCDs I'm not a big fan of most monitor options that require external power and just feel overly bulky for a build I'm trying to keep as compact as possible. I personally don't ever use false color, peaking, LUTs etc.. or any of the features of typical monitors, I just want as accurate an image as possible, and I find iPhone and iPads pretty damn accurate, my 11 Pro is probably the most accurate screen I own. In the brief testing I've done, I've found the Komodo Control App very useable, and the lag is very impressive. Honestly I'm just amazed it works as well as it does for something that is built into the body, it's great.

But the lag is there, and obviously the quality of the image is only as good as the signal, so it's not ideal for consistent operating. Has anyone purchased the adaptor and how have you found using an iOS device with it? Does it supply power to the device, if so have you noticed any significant drain on batteries? Are there any other uses you've found, such as ability to transfer files, or even record to an SSD?

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    It supplies a small amount of power so it will drain even when plugged in, even if it’s by a small amount. There’s a bit of a lag but it’s not bad and it’s faster than WiFi viewing. However, the downside I feel is micro stutters. There might be an update to improve this, but the benefit of SDI monitoring is that you get frame accurate smoothness of the video signal.

If Link stays the same as it is now I will probably change it out in the future for a better SDI option.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

I just bought one last week to bring with me for the next shoot. Still tinkering on the rigging a bit, but I have been testing Link and RED Control. Wireless and cabled connection performance really depends on your phone, newer IOS and Android phones do a great job. When cabled it's very low lag, like not noticeable. Don't think it's exactly 0ms, but it's speedy. The connection does trickle charge your phone which is nice and when you detach the cable it can seamlessly go to wireless, which I was hoping for.

I believe it keeps the 720p resolution for now, hoping that increases for the cabled connection in particular. But it's early days.

Somewhat blown away how well this works in practice. Nothing will beat that SDI for zero latency as well as resolution and bit depth, but this works a treat when you need to grab and go.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    When cabled it's very low lag, like not noticeable. Don't think it's exactly 0ms, but it's speedy.
    Have you seen the micro stutters? I agree that latency is very good, I don't have a problem with that, but there are stutters all the time, framedrops and such which makes it a bit unreliable for critical viewing. 720p is ok for these small "monitors", I much rather have framerate accurate smooth motion before having more resolution.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

I'd really like to know if the KOMODO LINK will support R3D data streams like RED TETHER using either direct-attached SSDs through the port or using an Ethernet adaptor and a computer running the RED Tether app. I am aware that you can record to an SSD with an adaptor in the CFast port but the Ethernet solution can come in handy in some situations also.
    Scarlet-X DRAGON #64

I’ve just received my link adaptor, I connect it to my iPhone (latest firmware and red Komodo updated), but it doesn’t work.

Red control doesn’t see the Komodo, how do you make it work?

It ships with a huge box without the manual

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo De Agostini View Post
    I’ve just received my link adaptor, I connect it to my iPhone (latest firmware and red Komodo updated), but it doesn’t work.

Two things I've noticed on iPhone:

1. It needs a Sim card in there
    2. Enable Airplane Mode
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo De Agostini View Post

Thanks
    Quick guide from Jonathan Pett's video on the RED Solitary Series (just in case that's what you're looking for):

1. Plug one end of the USB-C cable into the KOMODO LINK
    2. Plug the other USB-C connector into your phone
    3. RED CONTROL app / Settings / Network & Internet / Hotspot & tethering / turn on USB tethering
    4. KOMODO MENU / Communication / KOMODO LINK Adapter / (after connecting the cable to the phone, an IP address should be displayed)
    5. Perform a Re-Scan in the RED CONTROL app. If WiFi is still enabled, 2 cameras will be displayed (one for each connection type). Then ...
    6. ... select the camera that shows "[LINK]" to receive the wired video feed via the KOMODO LINK adapter.

As Phil mentioned earlier, iOS devices need a SIM card, Android devices work without it.

I had a chat with the red customer care, they told me that there is as issue with iOs 14, they are working on the solution.

They confirmed also that the link adaptor does not work with iPads that don't have a sim card.

thanks for the replies guys!! That's a shame to hear iPad needs a SIM card, was looking forward to potentially using my old mini. I think this decision would be a lot easier to make if the SmallHD Focus options were in stock. Or are there any other options that have touch Red control, I'm struggling to find anything.