Thread: Matte Box Donuts for Very Small Lenses

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Matte Box Donuts for Very Small Lenses 
    I want to use a matte box (4x4 Tilta) with lenses with 49mm and 47mm and 49.5mm and 40.5mm I think fronts.

Is there a donut that will work with lenses this small or will I need step up rings? Thanks.

Or I might go Bright Tangerine.

I don't know of a donut that goes this small, so the most straightforward approach is likely to involve step-up rings.

That said, I'd imagine you could make a simple "nun's knickers" from blackout cloth with a drawstring that you tighten around the lens. (The ones I see from Tilta, Genustech, etc. seem to only go to around 60mm.) The challenge is that it's easy to wind up with lots extra fabric that either gets in front of the lens or bunches around the focus and aperture rings, since lenses of this size also often have short barrels. So I'd again be inclined towards the step-up rings.

One other idea: if these lenses happen to accept lens hoods, that might give you enough extra width to work with traditional nuns knickers/Bright Tangerine black hole.

Nuns knickers as stated or a DIY mouse pad donut... If you can find a mouse pad.
    C.S.C. Associate Member
    If I don't own it I rent it...

Quote Originally Posted by M Harvey View Post
    One other idea: if these lenses happen to accept lens hoods, that might give you enough extra width to work with traditional nuns knickers/Bright Tangerine black hole.
    I'm looking at the Duclos step up rings, or using filters without glass in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Powell View Post
    a DIY mouse pad donut... If you can find a mouse pad.

Wait would this work? With a Misfit atom? I would love to buy a few mouse pads instead of 30-40 step up rings.

I think all of the approaches using soft materials (mouse pad, nun's knickers) assume you're mounting the matte box on 15mm rods. If that's the case, I don't see why a mouse pad shouldn't work in order to block out reflections from the back.

If you need to clip the matte box to the lens, you'll need to go with step up rings. (As you probably know. Just stating for clarity.)

Quote Originally Posted by M Harvey View Post
    I think all of the approaches using soft materials (mouse pad, nun's knickers) assume you're mounting the matte box on 15mm rods. If that's the case, I don't see why a mouse pad shouldn't work in order to block out reflections from the back.

If you need to clip the matte box to the lens, you'll need to go with step up rings. (As you probably know. Just stating for clarity.)
    Yes, mounting on 15mm LWS. This would save me so much time and money if it worked well and was sufficiently lightproof.

Possibly a dumb question but do threaded donut rings only work on Bright Tangerine when there is no LWS support attached if the front of the lens moves forward?

Maybe step up rings and a flex donut is my best option...
    Last edited by Matt W.; 11-09-2020 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt W. View Post
    Possibly a dumb question but do threaded donut rings only work on Bright Tangerine when there is no LWS support attached if the front of the lens moves forward?

Maybe step up rings and a flex donut is my best option...
    They have threaded for specific sizes and clamp-on for alternative sizes as you know, and either should work if the front lens moves forward without LWS support.

It's best to give Bright Tangerine a call in the UK. They are very receptive to telephone inquiries. I believe a 5-6 hours ahead EST; so an early phone call for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt W. View Post
    do threaded donut rings only work on Bright Tangerine when there is no LWS support attached if the front of the lens moves forward?
    Correct. If the LWS support is affixed to rods, and the front of the lens is attached to the threaded donuts, then the matte box can't move back and forth with the lens. In practice, it probably would mean that you can't focus the lens.

I think your instinct to go with the flex donut is right. With lenses that extend, this gives you some room.