Thread: Switching lenses with camera on?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    Good points there, Christopher. It's also worth pointing out that some cameras have an anti-dust feature.
    Yep. Most modern “DSLR’s” from roughly the last decade have this type of feature and it’s usually automatic on either power-up or down (or both) and can usually also be activated manually. I know on my Canon’s I can actually hear it shaking the sensor. It sounds like a couple of faint squeaks.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    Because when the camera(sensor) is on, there is basically a static charge across the sensor and particles, dust, etc. are attracted to it and land on the OLPF. It may have been the original C500 or PL mount C300 that had a button that basically shut down the sensor so you could change lenses without shutting the entire camera down.

And I would never take operating technique from a still photog and carry it over to motion. Iíve spent my entire career shooting next to still photogs in the sports world. Half of their time spent in post is cloning out spots of dirt from their filthy lenses and sensors. One of my friends(still photog) was giving me crap one day telling me I had the cleanest lens he had ever seen. Which isnít really a major accomplishment when compared to how they treat their lenses.
    Fair points, but I've rarely seen problems during shoots. Lenses are switched all the time on productions without turning the camera off and it's never a problem in post, at least on the ones I've been involved with.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

I am not so sure I would have confidence in hot-swapping smart lenses with a self-owned camera. Professional level cameras and lens systems may have protections built in. They may also be more likely to be rentals so you don't have to be the mother to worry.

For the self-owner, the idea of something going wrong with one of those pins on a consumer-level autofocus lens into a non-OEM mount with power going through everything would make me a little anxious.

Think more haste less speed. We have all read and heard those horror stories about pins being mashed out of lens mounts. It is not like you might be carting two of three stills-camera bodies around to a job.
    Last edited by Robert Hart; 11-08-2020 at 08:23 PM. Reason: error

I never shut down my camera to swap lenses. I've been running RED since 2009. No problems yet!
    Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Justin McAleece
    Sigma Pro Primes and Video Production
    Justin at BLAREMedia dot net

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin McAleece View Post
    I never shut down my camera to swap lenses. I've been running RED since 2009. No problems yet!
    Itís also impractical. DSLRs start and shut down in an instant, while Red cameras take time, so no team would have the patience of waiting for every change of lens that happens during a shoot.

The main thing is, as always, that you should always have a cleaning kit with you when shooting. If thereís any dust particles and stuff getting on the OLPF, just blow or wipe it off.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397