Thread: Does the Komodo offer timelapse?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm also actually hoping for a stills mode, though I'm sure I'll get by just fine by pulling stills from recorded footage like I often do with my Epic-W. :)
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

Yeah, I really need this camera to do time lapse. It’s the perfect size for use on a time lapse slider like the Rhino Evo/Arc II. Seems like an easy enough addition.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Longest shutter on DSMC2 is 1 second.

I suspect Timelapse is coming to Komodo, but likely in a very different implementation than many would think.

If I had to guess advanced recording options such as that will be dished off to RED Control rather than in camera.
    Why can't we have longer shutter exposures with any Red camera? It's like one of the most common things on a regular still camera and Red has since DSMC had "still" in their name so why not offer the functionality of this? Why is a still frame at a long shutter something that's hard to implement? And on top of that just let the camera record in that mode? Like one frame every 15 seconds with an 8 sec exposure?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Why can't we have longer shutter exposures with any Red camera? It's like one of the most common things on a regular still camera and Red has since DSMC had "still" in their name so why not offer the functionality of this? Why is a still frame at a long shutter something that's hard to implement? And on top of that just let the camera record in that mode? Like one frame every 15 seconds with an 8 sec exposure?
    It´s hard to implement. DSMC2 has it if you consider 1 sek exposure with average or additive mix over 8 frames shot with 360 shutter.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    It´s hard to implement. DSMC2 has it if you consider 1 sek exposure with average or additive mix over 8 frames shot with 360 shutter.
    Not really sure why it is hard to implement? But at least have the same kind of timelapse capability as DSMC2s.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."

Not really sure why it is hard to implement? But at least have the same kind of timelapse capability as DSMC2s.
    Its simply dififcult for a Cmos sensor to do that long kind of exposures without artifacts showing up. Ther is reasons why the alexas and other cameras does not do long exposures.
    Björn Benckert

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Its simply dififcult for a Cmos sensor to do that long kind of exposures without artifacts showing up. Ther is reasons why the alexas and other cameras does not do long exposures.
    So how does it differ from still camera sensors that do this?

Most still cameras takes pretty shitty 8 sec exposures.

And technically with frame sum and average on 360 exposures with DSMC2 you can do any kind of exposure times. But if you sum to much, yes it will look hot pixely and noisy, just as most still cameras if you do very long exposures. Frame average does not give as strong exposure but if the light is enough then it´s often a far better option to get a clean image.
    Björn Benckert

Very long exposures, short answer:
    - Noise Reduction
    - Internal Dark Frame Noise Reduction
    - Modern Mirrorless/DSLR, whole bunch of settings to tend to levels of Noise Reduction for longer exposures

In terms of general timelapse, I'm certain Komodo will have TL features via the GUI or RED Control. Perhaps one day through the IP control even.

General Timelapse, Digital Cinema Cameras do a decent job.

Advanced Timelapse, Dedicated DSLRs or Mirrorless bodies are still a bit more ideal.

Been a hot minute since I have rolled a TL, but I certainly did a bunch with Dragon, but those were around 3-10 hours mostly. Occasionally extending into night or purely night. Never doing things that required a 1 second exposure, but certainly slower than 1/48th. Always did a dedicated Sensor Calibration when doing that.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon