Thread: Komodo + DJI RS 2

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mine also gets here tomorrow. I'll be converting the SDI to HDMI to utilize the Raven Eye, though it would be wonderful if there was an SDI version, but don't think they'll do that.

I also have the Crane 3S, which is rather flexible in terms of what and how much you can mount to it. But DJI's software and control integration is leagues beyond Zhiyuns IMO. Though the hardware is pretty close.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by RyanFrancis View Post
    I'm a bit underwhelmed by the RS 2. It feels like it's trying to be a "pro-tool" but no d-tap- which means no easy way to mount a pro focus motor, high nit monitor, or teradek shows me that they came up short. So freaking close, but no cigar.
    It seems pretty darn good, from what I’ve seen so far. If you were trying to run a high-torque motor, high-nit monitor and a Teradek, plus the gimbal itself, that 30 watt battery would be toast in a hurry. Are there any “one handed” gimbals with power taps for powering accessories?

Depending on how well that 3D TOF sensor works it could be a huge deal!
    Aaron Green - Chicago, IL
    www.instagram.com/aaronkgreen

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    It seems pretty darn good, from what I’ve seen so far. If you were trying to run a high-torque motor, high-nit monitor and a Teradek, plus the gimbal itself, that 30 watt battery would be toast in a hurry. Are there any “one handed” gimbals with power taps for powering accessories?
    The answer here is to mount a gold mount or v-mount battery or power bank off to the side and use that for powering all accessories via D-tap (i.e. Komodo, FF, Teradek, Etc.). I know I can get a small Komodo build on an RS2 with Leica-R's or a small cine zoom as a payload. But I'd really like to know if I could be able to run small Anamorphic's or heavier spherical lenses (Kowa, Cooke Mini, Zeiss B-Speeds, etc.) with a matte-box and FF as well so I am curious if the payload ability is on par with Crane 3S? But most importantly want to know how usable the RavenEye is in terms of tracking focus, wireless video transmission, etc. If I could rely on DJI tech for accomplishing these features reliably that would be pretty extraordinary for a piece of gear under $1000.00
    DSMC2 GEMINI + STORMTROOPER KOMODO

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Reese View Post
    The answer here is to mount a gold mount or v-mount battery or power bank off to the side and use that for powering all accessories via D-tap (i.e. Komodo, FF, Teradek, Etc.). I know I can get a small Komodo build on an RS2 with Leica-R's or a small cine zoom as a payload. But I'd really like to know if I could be able to run small Anamorphic's or heavier spherical lenses (Kowa, Cooke Mini, Zeiss B-Speeds, etc.) with a matte-box and FF as well so I am curious if the payload ability is on par with Crane 3S? But most importantly want to know how usable the RavenEye is in terms of tracking focus, wireless video transmission, etc. If I could rely on DJI tech for accomplishing these features reliably that would be pretty extraordinary for a piece of gear under $1000.00
    I’m not a gimbal expert, by any stretch, but one of the problems you may start to run into is not just the raw weight of the camera payload package, but it’s distribution and size. If you can actually move it around enough to get it in the proper balance point or being able to add counterbalance weights in the right spots and not overtax the motors or cause mechanical obstruction or interference.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Roberts View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the Raven Eye would be for monitoring only. I think you need the USB connection for focus motor control, active track, force mobile, etc. In which case, you'll likely need the Komodo Link ($395) or a USB to Komodo Control Port... and that assumes that DJI and Red can work out the protocol. My RS2 arrives tomorrow so I'll be testing whatever I can. My main plan is to use the Red Control app for wireless control of Komodo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Mine also gets here tomorrow. I'll be converting the SDI to HDMI to utilize the Raven Eye, though it would be wonderful if there was an SDI version, but don't think they'll do that.

I also have the Crane 3S, which is rather flexible in terms of what and how much you can mount to it. But DJI's software and control integration is leagues beyond Zhiyuns IMO. Though the hardware is pretty close.
    Anyone get a chance to play with it, yet? As I suspected, B&H did drop the ball on mine and it's not scheduled to be here until next week, now. Guess I'll be requesting a shipping charge refund.

This is getting spicy!
    Mike McEntire
    Mack Dawg Productions
    Oceanside, CA

Mine came today as promised from B&H. I ordered with their Payboo card (get sales tax refunded) and I heard someone else who ordered with Payboo also got theirs today. Maybe payment clears faster or something. Anyway, just saying they did right by me. I haven't opened it yet. I will test tomorrow for a shoot Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Roberts View Post
    Mine came today as promised from B&H. I ordered with their Payboo card (get sales tax refunded) and I heard someone else who ordered with Payboo also got theirs today. Maybe payment clears faster or something. Anyway, just saying they did right by me. I haven't opened it yet. I will test tomorrow for a shoot Wednesday.
    I used PayBoo, too. 7% sales tax adds up after a while on stuff like this... ; )

I normally just go with the free shipping(used to only be 2 days pre-Covid), but it said free was Wednesday delivery, and I’m heading out of town that morning for a multi-day shoot and won’t be back until the weekend. It’s not the end of the world. I had a shoot pop up for Saturday and I was already booked on Sunday, so I wouldn’t have had a lot of time to check it out now anyway, but it’s really the principal of it. Especially paying extra for faster delivery. In our business, we wouldn’t survive long if we operated the same way. You can’t just tell a client that you slept late and didn’t get up in-time to make it to the shoot, but it’s ok, you’ll be there tomorrow.