Thread: New Canon Speed Booster

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Now if someone made a bottom plate which secured the speed booster to the Komodo, I would not complain. Just sayin'
    Scarlet-X #2034 "Bea"

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Different in that Canon's is tested against their glass and has much better optical quality than the metabones. That's been a main issue for many who decided not to buy the metabones one. As for protruding into the body, yes, a little.

Thanks Christoffer!

I meant different in design/size/thickness (not necessarily quality), but that image does a good job of showing it. Looks lower-profile than other Focal Reducers, so it could be a new optical design entirely.

Long shot, but are the technical drawing/dimensions of Canon's Focal Reducer anywhere (I can't find anything)?

Wondering though, since it has a screw set to lock it into place, if it's possible to lock a mount to the Komodo in a similar way? If it has play while focusing, that's gonna be pretty bad. This is a worry for the normal adapter as well.
    Ok, so are we to believe it works or is this still a "maybe" due to unconfirmed play while focusing ?

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David Collard View Post
    Ok, so are we to believe it works or is this still a "maybe" due to unconfirmed play while focusing ?
    It's a maybe until we can test it out thoroughly. The best thing would be if someone made an actual adapter setup where we could use the four screws around the adapter. I'm not sure that's possible on the Komodo, but that would be the best way to lock it into place, since as Björn mentions, even though the foot can be locked into place, it can bend. It will however not be any worse than a normal adapter, like the normal adapter that comes with the Komodo, but if we got something to lock the four screws into place, that would be perfect. Looking at the images, however, I think that would require screw holes into the actual camera body.

We know that it works, so if it has too much play or not has to be tested. Maybe you could test it at a local photography store?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

I prefer speed booster, but now I would rather wait until some major brand finish their special design for Komodo.

Different in that Canon's is tested against their glass and has much better optical quality than the metabones. That's been a main issue for many who decided not to buy the metabones one. As for protruding into the body, yes, a little.

Do you have a link to an actual optical comparison? The examples in the Canon patent aren't impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Caldwell View Post
    Do you have a link to an actual optical comparison? The examples in the Canon patent aren't impressive.
    Well, I may be at fault for induction logic in this, but metabones has been criticized for lowering the general quality of the image. Canon's adapter is tested with the CN-Es, it's the primary reason it exists, to work with the C70 and the CN-E primes and zooms. If they design it around that and use the optical quality of their decade-old experienced lens manufacturing, of course, the optical quality will be superior. Metabones aren't even close to where Canon stands in terms of lens manufacturing. It's also reflected in the higher price, essentially, you get what you pay for. People can try and prove me wrong on this, but the inductive conclusion is pretty sound for this.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."

I've tested many speedboosters for various projects. Metabones is the best quality out there. Most of the issues with metabones in the field were user error IMO. Canon certainly has vast talent and resources. They don't have the experience in designing speed boosters. Don't under estimate Brian's years of track record with focal reducers. He is the brain behind this whole "movement"
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    I've tested many speedboosters for various projects. Metabones is the best quality out there. Most of the issues with metabones in the field were user error IMO. Canon certainly has vast talent and resources. They don't have the experience in designing speed boosters. Don't under estimate Brian's years of track record with focal reducers. He is the brain behind this whole "movement"
    They literally have decades of experience making optical expanders, which is just the opposite. And they have decades of experience making lenses. There's no magic to speed boosters, it's basically just a lens with a lens attached to it and Canon is one of the world leaders in manufacturing photographic glass.

I'm not concluding anything based on anything else than the reviews from people who used this gear. Some are ok with optical degradation, but some are not. Brian is a genius for pushing these things, but someone's vision may not be enough up against a titan when it comes to glass manufacturing.

Then there's the question of functionality. It's easier to deduce that Canon EF lenses will work better on something designed by Canon. It's made to work with their lineup of lenses, which means the functionality from RF to EF is more likely to work than on third party gear. It's even reported that metabones have functionality issues with Komodo while the Canon one do not.

Of course, until we can get our hands on it we won't know for sure, but the rational argument is in favor of the Canon having better quality for this purpose of shooting.