Thread: New Canon Speed Booster

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Exactly. Such situations take up at least 80% of all shoots I've done. And having a small Atom matte box with ND filters outside where you probably have most room to move around is a non-problem. Then we have the common problem with protecting the lenses; it's more common you have elements outside that can damage the front element of the lens than in-doors, so having an ND filter in a matte box is also an insurance that your lens survives. I think in-camera and in-mount NDs are a bit overhyped. They are fast and good, but only if I'm using cheaper still lenses that already have a standard screw-on UV filter as protection.
    Protection is not the the case with NDs , I know you know that, but a point is, some DPs want as much glass in front of the lens is zilch. That have nothing to do with still lenses or protection of cinema lenses. If DP wants to have anything or nothing in front of lenses its a given and not objactable.

Apparently, the Metabones EF to RF has been tested

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hendrick View Post
    Apparently, the Metabones EF to RF has been tested
    As per the video I linked to, which is like two months old and people still say it's not supported (?)

Gotten word that the Canon also works, but not confirmed. I just don't know why people say that these won't work? I just don't understand the reasoning behind that conclusion? I can understand if the Canon mount won't push through AF functionality, but that's irrelevant with cine glass.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    As per the video I linked to, which is like two months old and people still say it's not supported (?)
    Here is the link where I saw the Metabones listed - KOMODO Compatible Lens Mount Adapters https://support.red.com/hc/en-us/art...Mount-Adapters

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hendrick View Post
    Here is the link where I saw the Metabones listed - KOMODO Compatible Lens Mount Adapters https://support.red.com/hc/en-us/art...Mount-Adapters
    Would love if Red could test out the Canon one and get it listed. Someone pointed out they received a test C70 with it and tried it on Komodo with no problems of connectivity or physical problems mounting it. So far so good.
    I would love to see Tilta or someone else make a plate or something that can lock the foot into place so we get the canon mount rock solid. If the optical quality is as good as people say about it we essentially have a low light FF Komodo for EF lenses.

How are people not hyped up about this?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."

So, credit to Max Bst on Facebook for uploading these. I think that settles it with the Canon adapter. It works, it's better than the Metabones and all that's missing is for someone like Tilta to design something to lock the adapter into place based on the foot on the Canon adapter.

This is a big deal in my opinion.

I believe this is a big deal as well. I don't necessarily need autofocus, but iris control is obviously a must. Looks very promising. The added stop of light is the biggest thing for me. Getting a wider image is nice too. For the projects that need a smaller hard drive footprint, this could allow me to shoot in 4k R3D with a Sigma 18-35, and it would effectively be like the original super35 crop instead of the 4k 2x crop. Thank you for your research on this Christoffer!

Yes, this is a huge deal.

I am a S35 fan and prefer the format and look over FF. But sometimes I just need that ultra wide shot or a bit more light. This is definitely going on my "buy" list.

If it sees and controls the aperture thats all I really need.
    Scarlet-X #2034 "Bea"

I asked earlier, but not sure anyone responded: is the optical element in these RF-FRs (both the Canon and the metabones) different from the ones in MFT/E-Mount based Focal Reducers/Speedboosters? Also does it protrude into the body/throat of the Komodo/RF mount?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    I asked earlier, but not sure anyone responded: is the optical element in these RF-FRs (both the Canon and the metabones) different from the ones in MFT/E-Mount based Focal Reducers/Speedboosters? Also does it protrude into the body/throat of the Komodo/RF mount?
    Different in that Canon's is tested against their glass and has much better optical quality than the metabones. That's been a main issue for many who decided not to buy the metabones one. As for protruding into the body, yes, a little.