Thread: Canon EOS C70

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    As I posted on the Komodo Facebook group: If I could have Komodo's 6K Red RAW (and IPP2), Global Shutter, SDI and Red Control wireless capability, all in the C70 package with Canon's Autofocus, built in ND, I'd spend $10K on THAT camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Roberts View Post
    As I posted on the Komodo Facebook group: If I could have Komodo's 6K Red RAW (and IPP2), Global Shutter, SDI and Red Control wireless capability, all in the C70 package with Canon's Autofocus, built in ND, I'd spend $10K on THAT camera.
    That would be a great camera and well worth a $10K price tag!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Roberts View Post
    Exactly, down for that. Waiting on blackmagic to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Mike,

You beat me to it.
    Great minds think alike!

I'm sure a lot of people are thinking the same thing (re: R5 in a c70 body with no record limit). Is there another (realistic/reasonable) reason they wouldn't have done it, other than the protect their more expensive (not necessarily higher-end) cameras? In Canon's defence, every manufacturer does it, including RED (or was there another reason they limited Dragon-X to 5k-only for over a year?).

Quote Originally Posted by Thibault_Menu View Post
    Exactly, down for that. Waiting on blackmagic to answer.
    LOL! This isn't even an exaggeration. FF35 Pocket 8k is gonna be so dope... Lets just hope they add AF (personally I'd prefer that to global shutter.)

Well, this certainly puts pressure on Komodo! And Sony and Blackmagic and Panasonic...

- Internal ND
    - 4 channel audio (2x XLRs with phantom, 2x line inputs)
    - 120fps from full sensor.
    - excellent dynamic range (especially at 60fps and under) and low light
    - excellent autofocus
    - no raw (but they have stated they might add it afterwards if there is demand... I bet they will add it, they just didn't add it at launch to avoid pissing off C200 owners EVEN MORE)

I don't really care that it's not 6K. 0.1% of work needs 6K acquisition... and that 0.1% would have the budget for me to rent anyway.

I don't really care too much that it's not raw either. My DPs know how to white balance. I think that the quality of this image will surpass Komodo because the sensor has better dynamic range. If forced to choose between Komodo's raw with lower dynamic range vs a high quality log signal with good color, I'll take the log, thank you.

Of course I would like a vertically-larger sensor so I could get full anamorphic coverage.

Since this is the C70, that does leave space for a full-frame C90 - and it'll have 6K for all the weirdos who demand that too :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    I'm sure a lot of people are thinking the same thing (re: R5 in a c70 body with no record limit). Is there another (realistic/reasonable) reason they wouldn't have done it, other than the protect their more expensive (not necessarily higher-end) cameras?
    Yes, R5's dynamic range isn't as good as this dual gain sensor.
    And the 120fps would be lower quality because it would be binned.
    Look at the dynamic range tests done by cined comparing C300 mk3 4k image to R5 8k raw - C300 mk3 sensor is simply better.

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv

Great minds think alike!

I'm sure a lot of people are thinking the same thing (re: R5 in a c70 body with no record limit). Is there another (realistic/reasonable) reason they wouldn't have done it, other than the protect their more expensive (not necessarily higher-end) cameras?

Mike,

Ain't that the truth!

Canon EOS C70 - Kim Churchill Behind the Scenes

By Tall Story Films

Canon Cinema EOS C70 In Action | Kim Churchill Live Performance

By
    Canon Australia

Sure, it'd be nice if it recorded internal RAW, were full frame 8k, had a viewfinder, etc. etc. etc.

But I think if you travel for journalistic or documentary work, this has to be a pretty serious contender. Everything you need from an FS7 or C300, more or less, but it fits in a shoulder bag with two zoom lenses and your wireless lav kit.

This camera is positioned likely outside of the realm for most of us, but Canon deserves a few handshakes for exploring this form factor with the features it's including.

A couple personal thoughts, and full disclosure I got to peek at this thing a couple weeks ago when it was doing the rounds out here, if this proves to be a popular solution Canon will explore more "bigger" concepts in this form factor. Of course likely using different media to get there.

I had a very similar reaction to the BMD PCC6K and the Canon C70 in regards to general form factor. It is indeed impressive how much Canon crammed into that tiny body. It's somewhat hard to imagine adding a single other button or port on there. I do like the move back to Mini-XLR, but that is a talking point to those who loathe them or those who think that might be a suitable trend in small cameras.

There are quirks, some of which CVP highlights, but beyond that I see where this fits in the world. And the autofocus is solid.

I think the most important thing for Komodo owners to think about here is now Canon is supporting a world of cinema RF, so this will benefit both worlds. Especially if we so more designed-for-motion RF lenses.

For me, yes, RAW is a desire and it would be a spicy day if they went 5K or 5.9K with this thing. But it's clear they are making a small and nimble camera when it comes to workflow as well.

Interesting times we're in. This will likely be positioned against the Sony FX6 when that drops. And I can't see Sony screwing over FX9 owners. But as to just where it all lands, we'll see.

I suspect for the big C and S that 2021 is their 8K year for higher end systems. Canon's been there for a hot minute. Sony almost jumped in, but they've held a bit. For me we are in the crazy time where we need tools for 4K and 8K one way or another.

One thing is for sure, the sub $15K world had it's moment and the sub $10K camera market is apparently the Q3/Q4 2020 focus. I haven't been overall unhappy with any of the cameras announced this year. Only a few head scratchers and obvious omissions of certain features. But all "fit somewhere".
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Am pleasantly pleased and surprised (as the C100/C200 never had this) that the new Canon C70 has Timecode I/O.

Although I bet most C70 buyers would wish that BNC connector was for HD-SDI instead of TC!
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

I loved the dynamic range of the C300 MkIII’s DGO sensor, but hated the size and form factor. For me the need for raw is largely mitigated with this type of sensor. The codecs should be pretty easy to work with and the workflow should be pretty livable. Built in NDs is a major plus. I’m really liking what I see here... so much so that I preordered one. The booster looks like an amazing add on, but was unavailable when I placed my order. I think Canon has a winner here.