Thread: Buying a RED at 21 years old, which I don't need?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Buying a RED at 21 years old, which I don't need? 
    Hello fellow RED enthusiasts,
    don't get this title wrong - I try to explain. :)
    In the last few weeks I suddenly stumbled across RED and this time it was more than just looking and wondering why those things are so expensive. I kinda fell in love with the RED System, especially the Gemini had a special impact on me. Well there are a few things, which I'd like to talk with you about and maybe get an even more insight look why and if this camera would even make sense for me.
    I am 21 years old and filmmaking is my main income source although I cannot say a RED would make sense for me right now financially. Some of my clients don't need better quality, nor 5K..
    I'd like to buy this camera for me and to show future clients I take my business serious and I put everything I have in it. Of course it's not like this, I buy this camera and suddenly I get all the good work and so on...
    A few months ago I bought a DJI Inspire 2 as I do lots of drone work and I quickly realized some people now think, because of the big drone I am a good drone pilot and are more likely to hire me, even dough I am "only" 21 years old...this is not an excuse don't get me wrong, but some people and also clients/future clients think I am this little kid with a little GH5S and a Glidecam and that's it - I want to be known as a "real" filmmaker and earn some real money.
    I will rent a RED in about 10 days for a project and I will then hopefully get some more experience and see how I can handle this camera.
    I do lots of Run & Gun, I love color grading and when I have this camera there are no excuses, why I cannot do this or that shot, so maybe this also will push me to go for the extra shot and make me maybe more creative in a kind of way...
    I hope this was not written to egoistically and transfers what goes through my head and what I kind of mean. Other than that I just love the RED colors, dynamic range and the R3D code is literally amazing!!

Maybe some of you can tell me how owning a red had an impact on your Filmmaking career and if you think this camera would make sense for me or no?
    Thank you very much already!

Roman

Here are some videos from me, so you know what I film usually...

Therme Geinberg
    https://youtu.be/CZjiRE7IyZ4

Red Bull Ring - Trackday
    https://youtu.be/fsoBsnUW0C0

BMW Höglinger Denzel
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=17...kF3Nxg9gvQBzkI

My Youtube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/c/RomanPeher..._as=subscriber

A "real filmmaker" is not judged by their equipment. Rather, they are judged by the team of people who are ready at a moment's notice to join their projects and make magic happen. A "real film" starts with what's happening in front of the camera.

RED's colors and images are wonderful. It's why I shoot on RED.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

I agree! - you put it very well

I want to start off by saying I agree 100% with Micheal.

BTW - On the Red bull gig.. Did you use a drone?

Stick with what makes cents (& dollars) for you. There are so many levels of the game from skate board'n youtuber's all the way to Hollywood style film-making. Where do you fit in all that mess? The first camera I bought that I consider outside of the consumer market was a Panny HVX200. (I maybe showing my age with that juicy tidbit.) I did not purchase A RED until about 1 and half years ago but I did have a need for it with a project and I have been enjoying the ride ever since (I'm lying.... COVID has screwed that ride to bits) The point is buy when you know you will have adequate return.. Or else its a hobby in my eyes....

Having a superior camera like the RED will help you get gigs (It did for me) but learn the heart and craft of our passion and you will create magic with whatever camera your using..

@Micheal The only thing I would add to your statement is you are considered a real filmmaker when you produce a visual art that the masses enjoy... The masses don't care how the ride came about, they just want a good ride.

PS

I'm celebrating tonight because I just came home from a gig tonight. My freaking first since this dreaded CoVid hit. Good luck and I wish your career the best!!!

Hi Jamil,
    congrats - I'm very happy for you, celebrate!
    Yes drone was the Inspire 2 - here is a little bts if you want to take a look, it was very stressful to film the intro scene, because normally you are not allowed to stay with cars on the track, but we managed very spontaneously to do that and I had only 29mins to film that...drone + camera, so with the run & gun, I really mean it hahah
    DRONE BTS

I also agree with you, of course it should make sense financially and the main focus should be to find my unique style and "learn the heart and craft of our passion" as you put it so well!

OK.. I'm lovin the drone footage. I have a inspire 1 v2 but been debating on the Inspire 2. Whats the difference?

I'd begin by renting and get your clients to cover the cost?

You can always offer the camera on those terms even if you don't own it.

... oh and maybe wait for DSMC 3 ?!

if you're about to buy an inspire now, think about waiting for the Inspire 3, which might come soon...should've already come..
    If you want to know more, feel free to shoot me a DM!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    A "real filmmaker" is not judged by their equipment. Rather, they are judged by the team of people who are ready at a moment's notice to join their projects and make magic happen. A "real film" starts with what's happening in front of the camera.

RED's colors and images are wonderful. It's why I shoot on RED.
    I agree with this 100 percent....however, I also think you need to know your tools inside and out. If you can achieve this "knowledge" by renting that is great, but for me, it took owning a camera that I could shoot with all the damn time, job or no job. You could get a Scarlet-X for almost nothing....it shoots .r3d (the magic of RED) and still makes wonderful pictures. I don't know what your age has to do with it. Look up Jonny Mass. https://www.jonnymass.com. My motto has been and continues to be; Dress for the job you want, not the job you have. YMMV.
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

@Scot
    Wow this dude is a genius!! Thanks for showing me.
    I'll check out the Scarlet-X..