Thread: Gemini vs Dragon X 6k

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Almquist View Post
    For my work personally I shoot at the lowest possible ISO for the cleanest image and utilize the resolution for re-framing. I light most everything I shoot so using a dual-gain sensor at a lower resolution doesn't make much sense for me.
    Thank you for the clarification, How is the dynamic range of the dragon-x? What about highlights and colors?

2. #22 Dragon X vs Gemini 
    We just spent 10 days filming with the Gemini. I was pretty impressed with the Gemini's latitude... we were shooting with the Cooke Anamorphics and the sensor definitely loves those lenses.
    I know some more technically minded folks here have pointed out a bit of colour shift in the Gemini, so that's one thing to consider.
    The Gemini seemed a little more buggy, and froze during playback a couple times and required a reboot once or twice.
    If I were to choose I'd likely follow the advice of those on this forum who've looked deeper into the image and go the Gemini route.
    I think you'd be very happy with either body, I love the Dragon X as a daily shooter. The 6K is a really nice image that I'm looking forward to pairing with the Komodo asap!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Buchan View Post
    We just spent 10 days filming with the Gemini. I was pretty impressed with the Gemini's latitude... we were shooting with the Cooke Anamorphics and the sensor definitely loves those lenses.
    I know some more technically minded folks here have pointed out a bit of colour shift in the Gemini, so that's one thing to consider.
    The Gemini seemed a little more buggy, and froze during playback a couple times and required a reboot once or twice.
    If I were to choose I'd likely follow the advice of those on this forum who've looked deeper into the image and go the Gemini route.
    I think you'd be very happy with either body, I love the Dragon X as a daily shooter. The 6K is a really nice image that I'm looking forward to pairing with the Komodo asap!
    Interesting, I need a camera that's reliable. I wonder if your experience represents the majority. Thank you for your input.

Just for the record, I owned two epic dragons, never had a problem with them. I just wrapped a feature in FL about 3 weeks ago. Some of the most awful conditions I have ever worked in. Ever. I have shot all over the world. Almost every single HMI I had on that movie went down due to humidty and heat. gemini never missed a beat. never had a problem with mine. It's hard to judge rental gear because you don't know how much stupid got all over it.

Nick

Just an FYI, the Gemini wasn't a rental. It was about a month old, studio owned. Could possibly be a monitor cable issue... wasn't a big issue though.

Just an FYI, the Gemini wasn't a rental. It was about a month old, studio owned.
    Was it your camera? My point is if it's not yours, you have no idea how it's been treated.

Nick

The Dynamic range of the Dragon sensor is incredible and has been vetted by many professionals over the years since it's been out. Highlights and Colors are beautiful as long as you capture them correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Almquist View Post
    The Dynamic range of the Dragon sensor is incredible and has been vetted by many professionals over the years since it's been out. Highlights and Colors are beautiful as long as you capture them correctly.
    Yes but Gemini is better. Trust me my team shoots a lot on both sensors. Gemini is def better. But yes Dragon is good.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Senior Member Bérenger Brillante's Avatar
    Gemini all the way.
    Unless you are upgrading from Scarlet-W. Then it's cheap enough to be interesting.
    Bérenger B. Brillante
    --Director Showreel--

Thank you everyone for the input! I ordered a Gemini :)