Thread: Gemini vs Dragon X 6k

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Any particular reason why?
    It's mainly a matter of taste, but I like the color out of the box better on Gemini, just feels more natural. To quote a DIT nerd friend "The pixels are more gooder on Gemini". It certainly is nice to be able to shoot at 3200 ISO with basically no noise penalty compared to dragon. I found that come in handy on big night exteriors. Even if you have bigger HMIs, it sure is faster to use smaller, lighter instruments and run less power. Last movie we started off doing night exteriors with A 4k, a 2500 and then 1.2s. By the end of the movie we were using almost all LEDs just because we could and it was easier.

Nick

One thing to keep in mind also is what type of lenses do you own. The Gemini has a larger sensor than S35 so there’s some vignetting on certain lenses. I love my Dragon X but I think I’d trade 6k for dual ISO and 1.3x crop.
    Aaron Green - Chicago, IL
    DRAGON X
    www.instagram.com/aaronkgreen

Gemini at 5k and dragon at 6k are basically the same sized chip.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Green View Post
    One thing to keep in mind also is what type of lenses do you own. The Gemini has a larger sensor than S35 so there’s some vignetting on certain lenses. I love my Dragon X but I think I’d trade 6k for dual ISO and 1.3x crop.

Currently film with Sony mirrorless, so I own Sony glass. I plan to get the Canon 16-35 f2.8 FF and the 70-200mm, I'm also heavily considering the Tokina cine 16-28mm. From what I've seen I really like the look, however all my current filters are for smaller lenses and it makes more sense short-term to go with the photo glass.

Lowlight capabilities are super nice, one of the reason why I love my Sony mirrorless. I love the look of Red cameras!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    It's mainly a matter of taste, but I like the color out of the box better on Gemini, just feels more natural. To quote a DIT nerd friend "The pixels are more gooder on Gemini". It certainly is nice to be able to shoot at 3200 ISO with basically no noise penalty compared to dragon. I found that come in handy on big night exteriors. Even if you have bigger HMIs, it sure is faster to use smaller, lighter instruments and run less power. Last movie we started off doing night exteriors with A 4k, a 2500 and then 1.2s. By the end of the movie we were using almost all LEDs just because we could and it was easier.

Nick

hahaha, thank you for your input Nick. Right now i'm heavily leaning Gemini!

Gemini for sure!
    Mike McEntire
    Mack Dawg Productions
    Oceanside, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    Gemini at 5k and dragon at 6k are basically the same sized chip.

Nick
    But nice advantage for Gemini is the sensor is taller (18mm vs 16mm), and custom tailored for shooting anamorphic. Outside of Monstro, its the only RED sensor that gets this tall.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Very true!

But nice advantage for Gemini is the sensor is taller
    Absolutely. My response was just to the suggestion that lenses that covered 6k dragon wouldn't cover 5k gemini, when in reality you are equally screwed ;-)

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Higgins View Post
    What makes the Dragon-X special to you? Have you used a Gemini?
    For my work personally I shoot at the lowest possible ISO for the cleanest image and utilize the resolution for re-framing. I light most everything I shoot so using a dual-gain sensor at a lower resolution doesn't make much sense for me.