Thread: Gemini vs Dragon X 6k

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 Gemini vs Dragon-X 6k 
    Trying to decide between the Red Gemini or Dragon-x 6k sensor. I really like the extra light sensitivity of the Gemini, however Dragon-x 6k is $5,000 cheaper and more resolution for re-framing. Does anyone have side by side comparison of the Gemini and Dragon-X with IPP-2? How is the low light performance on the Dragon-X? Dynamic range vs the Gemini? I'm looking specifically for color, noise and dynamic range difference between the two.

Any help would be massively appreciated, I've been doing research for a couple months now. Once the sensor is decided i'm going to pull the trigger.
    Last edited by Brendan Higgins; 09-04-2020 at 12:16 AM.

I’d go Gemini definitely. It’s much cleaner in lower sensor area even on iso 800 (-5 looks as clean as -2 on Dragon), what makes the DR much more usable. Otherwise it’s a matter of taste between the sensors.

Both good, I prefer the Gemini.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lubensky View Post
    Id go Gemini definitely. Its much cleaner in lower sensor area even on iso 800 (-5 looks as clean as -2 on Dragon), what makes the DR much more usable. Otherwise its a matter of taste between the sensors.
    Thank you for the input, how does Dragon-x compare to Helium? Some of the low light tests I've seen with Helium seems very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    Both good, I prefer the Gemini.

Nick
    Any particular reason why?

Thanks!

I'd personally go with Dragon X. As a current SW owner I have a Canon C200 for when I need to shoot in uncontrolled low light environments. Now if I'm shooting on a controlled set for a dimly lit scene I don't know why anyone is shooting over the lowest possible ISO on any camera, including RED.

Gemini personally. Having used all the current dsmc2 line up, it is my favorite of all reds. Great lowlight performer, and I honestly think it has got the best DR out of any red, especially in the highlights. Coming from Alexa, it feels the most similar in performance. One man's opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Thomas View Post
    Gemini personally. Having used all the current dsmc2 line up, it is my favorite of all reds. Great lowlight performer, and I honestly think it has got the best DR out of any red, especially in the highlights. Coming from Alexa, it feels the most similar in performance. One man's opinion though.
    I've never used an Alexa, but all the footage I've seen has really impressed me. Is it mainly the highlights are color of the Gemini that resembles the Alex?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Almquist View Post
    I'd personally go with Dragon X. As a current SW owner I have a Canon C200 for when I need to shoot in uncontrolled low light environments. Now if I'm shooting on a controlled set for a dimly lit scene I don't know why anyone is shooting over the lowest possible ISO on any camera, including RED.
    What makes the Dragon-X special to you? Have you used a Gemini?

Gemini is def the better choice.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv