Thread: RED KOMODO - FULL DYNAMIC RANGE TEST with Digital Density/Camera Response Chart

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 RED KOMODO - FULL DYNAMIC RANGE TEST with Digital Density/Camera Response Chart 
    Hey all,

Had the pleasure of shooting a camera test with a fellow reduser member.

I found it frustrating that I couldn't find a proper over/under exposure test for the Komodo so I took it upon myself to shoot.

We also shot the same tests against an Arri Alexa, RED Epic-W Helium, RED Weapon Dragon 6K, and Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K. I'm still working on compiling the data to share but they will be coming in the future.

Also attached is the digital density chart of the camera tracking it's response against exposure change.

Enjoy!

Director of Photography // www.briannguyendp.com

Thanks for a proper test.

Can you share the same one, but with exposure corrected on post to match N value - just so you can judge visually on which stop the noise becomes unacceptable and the highlights color reproduction starts to shrink?

Otherwise, it does seem very similar in response to Gemini sensor - good highlights performance, about a stop less compared to Alexa in Raw, but much better noise floor (Alexa in Raw has obvious noise at about -3 stops, and unaccaptable noise at -4 stops. Same as MX sensor).

Looks to me like the log curve is over exposed and clipping at the top by just a bit. That shelf in the peak white response doesn’t look like part of the curve.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Looks to me like the log curve is over exposed and clipping at the top by just a bit. That shelf in the peak white response doesn’t look like part of the curve.
    The Log3g10 curve has room for values that the Komodo simply cannot record because it was designed to accompany all the different RED cameras. Some cameras won't fill up that "bucket" as much as the other cameras can. That shelf is expected.

Thanks
    No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

thank you...

Thanks, I hope you guys have found it helpful.

I've just done a follow up video as I've had many requests in breaking down the footage and offering my own analysis and commentary on what I'm seeing.

I definitely answer whether or not this camera has 16 stops ;)

Director of Photography // www.briannguyendp.com